Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience this is what I see....

Stags that age are eager to roam and forage. Hungry is the main driver from what I have seen @ 3.5-6 months old. Thats about when they start leaving the property and wandering the neighbors yard for bugs/grass. 6-8 months old they come back and start hanging around with pullets and challenging other stags (just testing and establishing pecking order), True fights dont happen until 1 year old (assuming stags have been raised together the entire time without being penned).

I only have problems with stags pen fighting after they are penned and then released without supervision. When I watch them I stand guard and divert them away from pens.

Stags that age are eager to roam and forage. Hungry is the main driver from what I have seen @ 3.5-6 months old. Thats about when they start leaving the property and wandering the neighbors yard for bugs/grass. 6-8 months old they come back and start hanging around with pullets and challenging other stags (just testing and establishing pecking order), True fights dont happen until 1 year old (assuming stags have been raised together the entire time without being penned).

I only have problems with stags pen fighting after they are penned and then released without supervision. When I watch them I stand guard and divert them away from pens.

Sometimes I can have real fights when they are only about 6 month old. When they are 8 months old you simply can not trust them anymore. By one year old, forget it unless something is wrong.

no way none last 8 months without losing eyeballs or broken beaks. I'm not talking anything to do with penned birds and wire.
My oldest running the yard are just approaching 6 months and have already had plenty of skirmishes. None leave my yard, they will keep to sections of the yard while young. As they age they will venture closer to older birds and get run off til one day they don't. Usually within 6 months or before, maybe a little later. There is no "pecking order" once maturity. It's either game or not. There is no pecking order. You got regular chickens

Last edited:
Sometimes I can have real fights when they are only about 6 month old. When they are 8 months old you simply can not trust them anymore.  By one year old, forget it unless something is wrong.
I've lost a few at 4 months. 1 at 3.5 months. Not saying there isn't a few families out there that take much longer and are really good birds. That would definitely be the exception and not the rule

I was reading that there was a guy/ James "Jim" Mason Owen / that bred gamefowl in Branson MO way back in the day / called Ozark Doms and Ozark Blues / I can't seem to find any pics or other references. Anybody know about them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom