Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say I use a .22 90% of the time. Mostly because I spend countless hours watching young birds that are running loose looking for reasons to cull and usually I’ll do a few at one time.
As long as you know where to put the bullet they don’t make a mess. I trap so I’m comfortable doing it. No flopping around or anything like that.

I would say I use a .22 90% of the time. Mostly because I spend countless hours watching young birds that are running loose looking for reasons to cull and usually I’ll do a few at one time.
As long as you know where to put the bullet they don’t make a mess. I trap so I’m comfortable doing it. No flopping around or anything like that.
I used to do that for birds that needed to be killed. I still will sometimes if I happen to have gotten attached too much to said bird to do anything more hands on. Yes, you're allowed to call me a wuss.

Culling birds isn’t exactly fun to do. 1st rounds aren’t too bad but when you get down to splitting hairs between who stays and who goes when differences are minute it gets a little harder. Defects and illnesses etc.. its all part of it. One thing is if it crosses your mind to cull a bird it’s best to do it right then and there. 9 times out of 10 your just prolonging the inevitable. That being said I’ve probably culled quite a few that I shouldn’t have.

being raised on a chicken farm we were taught to ring there necks until they are 4-5 weeks old and when they got bigger we would just hold the feet and pull the head till it popped of, but we got that farm strength in the midwest lol and the chickens on a broiler farm only make it to 6-7 weeks old. I dont think i could dispatch a bird that was allowed to grow out to full size the same way.

being raised on a chicken farm we were taught to ring there necks until they are 4-5 weeks old and when they got bigger we would just hold the feet and pull the head till it popped of, but we got that farm strength in the midwest lol and the chickens on a broiler farm only make it to 6-7 weeks old. I dont think i could dispatch a bird that was allowed to grow out to full size the same way.
Birds that size I use a hatchet or big knife.

To be honest I don’t cull many young birds at all past chick size unless there are defects which is pretty rare.
A stag here and there that was clearly not growing as quick as it’s siblings and a pullet or two with wry neck but that’s about it.

there are days were we would kill well over a hundred birds in each chicken house, it's just easy to ring the necks and just throw them into the middle of the house till they stop flopping then collect the carcasses later. I have had to haul thousands of dead chickens before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom