Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta be honest even I cringe a little bit every time I get behind a truck hauling chickens to the slaughter house. Feathers flying and heads sticking out of cages at 70 mph.

The average American has no idea where or how their food got onto their table. Therein lies a big problem. When that changes maybe some progress will be made. It's in the best interest of the big ag companies to keep the production practices out of the public eye. Which leads to dumbing down of many folks who have yet to think for themselves or even question something that may seem off.

I keep a foam incubator at my garden center to show kids eggs hatching, they shine a flashlight in to see and I answer all questions. Yesterday one of the fathers asked if the mother hen was in there too,cause she needs to break them out of their shells

I keep a foam incubator at my garden center to show kids eggs hatching, they shine a flashlight in to see and I answer all questions. Yesterday one of the fathers asked if the mother hen was in there too,cause she needs to break them out of their shells
thats a good one. That's exactly what I mean. How many times have you heard people say they thought you had to have a rooster to get eggs. I used to think it was kinda funny but after hearing it so many times from people much older than me it makes you realize just how far people are out of touch with reality.

I agree with most of what you posted. However I do disagree about animal production becoming less intensive. The costs of doing so will make food far too expensive, not to mention the lack of available land for agriculture purposes. Just as organic, free range, grass fed and every other term for the most part is bought by the people who live and work in and around densely populated areas where they generally earn a higher wage. There's a reason why animal production is so intensive. The market demanded it because it's cheaper. I don't agree with some of the practices but I don't have a solution either.

The change is likely to occur at the same time as per capita meat production declines. As per capita meat production declines there will be less demand for grain which in US is biggest user of land. The transition will be tough and it has not started yet but is just around corner for the drought stricken regions of the western US. Direct consumption of vegetables and grains is more effecient on most measures. I am also in aquaculture where animal protein production counter intuitively can require less water than something like beef. The Aquaponic stuff most suitable for urban areas that currently is a great way to loose your pants is likely to become sustainable when energy cost get back up good and high.

Every one is always amazed when they see hatching eggs on my counter,that they are not stored warm

We deal with many of the same issues and its starting to pop up even with populations that are decidedly rural. Many farmers produce only one crop and do not process or even know how it is done. Problem I think is ties even to declining interest in hunting and fishing.

Below is thread documenting some of what I do in effort to educate. We are exposing close to 5,000 people annually but most seem to think what they see is only cute. We do a lot of aquaculture related but not as photogenic nor applicable to this site.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm

Another thing about the fellow that was raided. Spca and humane society seized over 800 birds to "save" them then turned around and euthanized them saying they were too aggressive. Wow talk about hypocrisy! And if anybody would know we as fanciers would know the last thing we need is a man fighting gamecock. Every part of a games life is leaps better than a processing chickens life.http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/08/laspca_conducts_largest_animal.html

Last edited:
If everybody had at least an acre or so they could grow and raise what they need while trading for eveything else. Hunting and fishing would supplement the rest. Obviously not gonna happen. Property rights and govmt regulations seem to be the biggest problems. It's the people's fault that came before me that let all this get out of control so I blame them lol

Another thing about the fellow that was raided. Spca and humane society seized over 800 birds to "save" them then turned around and euthanized them saying they were too aggressive. Wow talk about hypocrisy! And if anybody would know we as fanciers would know the last thing we need is a man fighting gamecock. Every part of a games life is leaps better than a processing chickens life.
when you actually bring this up in a conversation people dismiss it because it's related to food production. They are somehow able to turn off the emotion of a baby cockerel being gassed or put into a grinder (European egg factories). Most people don't honestly care if they don't have to see it. It's the same as somebody getting rid of a dog they can't handle or no longer want. (Shubin) lol they don't care what happens to it after they have gotten rid of it all while preaching the AR agenda, even though said dog will liky be euthanized because the owner failed it. It's all about responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom