Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Finally got a pic of the (probable) Delalorp chick:
58552_delalorpchick.jpg

Pretty much all black, even the butt fluff is dark grey; bright yellow legs, and that white patch on the nape.
58552_delalorpchick2.jpg

Geeesh Tim! That Delawegger on top of the feeder, looks for all the world like some deranged and demented male hawk got in your flock and did everything but what they're known for doing to chickens!
gig.gif
Keep track of that one, would you please, and post as soon as you know its gender. My money is on cockerel.

The trend, so far, with Del over Amer or EE, seems to be this: If they hatch looking like a pure Del, they end up being pullet. If they hatch out looking like your litle guy did, they seem to all be cockerels. I'd be very interesed to see what yours turns out to be.

This is by no means a fact as yet. Just an observation that a number of us with Delaweggers have made. I have had two such that started life looking like pure Del's but with the cheek puffs and beards of their EE mother. They were both pullets! Sadly, I lost one of the little girls just a couple of days before she started laying. Her sister lays a beautiful olive/bluish egg.

Talk to Kathy [aka kathyinmo] as it was from her that I received the trio of mother and two chicks. I seem to recall that Cyn [aka speckledhen] also produced one or two [maybe more?] with one of her EE girls and her beautiful Isaak. The girls started out with the full Delaware look as well.

If I had the time, money and facilities to do so, this is a crossing that I would love to persue all the way to recognition by the APA as a new breed! A bird that is as friendly as the Dels that lays a bluish/olive egg!?!?! What could be better!!!
wee.gif

My broody hatched 2 Delaweggers last week, they were fathered by my Blue Wheaten Ameraucana roo, Claude.

IMG_4172-1.jpg

The momma is one of my Braden Dels.

IMG_4170.jpg

She hatched two eggs, this pairing produces sex linked chicks, I was lucky enough to get one pullet and one cockerel.
big_smile.png

I'll try and get some pictures of the babies soon.

Quote:
Isn't that the most amazing looking chick? The pattern on its head, right out of the egg, was just bizarre. Little doubt of its parentage though! (Rexx is VERY watchful, and enthusiastic.)
cool.png

Keep track of that one, would you please, and post as soon as you know its gender. My money is on cockerel.

Will do. I agree, FWIW. I'm sure he will be delicious...
roll.png

The trend, so far, with Del over Amer or EE, seems to be this: If they hatch looking like a pure Del, they end up being pullet. If they hatch out looking like your litle guy did, they seem to all be cockerels. I'd be very interesed to see what yours turns out to be.

This is by no means a fact as yet. Just an observation that a number of us with Delaweggers have made. I have had two such that started life looking like pure Del's but with the cheek puffs and beards of their EE mother. They were both pullets! Sadly, I lost one of the little girls just a couple of days before she started laying. Her sister lays a beautiful olive/bluish egg.
<snip>
A bird that is as friendly as the Dels that lays a bluish/olive egg!?!?! What could be better!!!
wee.gif

Interesting! Wish I'd saved out more of the EE eggs for the broodies, but we didn't exactly plan this out. If I can talk the wife into it, maybe I'll slip 4 or 5 EE egs under the broody Australorp...
wink.png
Agree, a Del personality that lays colored eggs would be marvelous!​

Hi, does anyone know what page I could find breakdown on the Delaware's genetic make-up?
I'm trying to find out whether the Baring is i+ (wild type) or I^s/i+ .
hu.gif

I'm checking every 2nd page as I know the 'recipe' (lol) is in this thread (but what page though, I don't know)
idunno.gif

Maybe I ought to ask around in the Plymouth Rock thread as well?

If anyone could help, that'll be awesome
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I looked for it also for a bit but had no luck in finding it, you might drop tadkerson a PM I'm sure he'd be glad to break it down for ya.

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom