Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

I think those are from Paul Harter, if I'm not mistaken, aren't they? They look good! The rooster has a decent shape/size chest and color and comb.

Isaac is looking older now. Every time he molts, he grows in a tail feather that has faded to white on at least part of it, like turning gray, lol. Who has an old Delaware rooster? I've not heard of an old one, which worries me some. I'd like to have Ike for awhile to come, he's such a great rooster. What I love about his line is that he doesn't yellow like some do. Some are just genetically predisposed to turn yellow, even without sun or excessive corn consumption, but not Ike. They do, however, look dirty when they dustbathe in our red Georgia clay. Ellie is always the quintessential "Dirty Delaware".

The picture's I take never really do them justice. Mine so far haven't yellowed. I know about the clay lol. But where I have mine, mine are out back where I cleared the woods out. So it's all nice black but dusty dirt made from leaves over probably 100's of years. Have to pens out front that are clay and rocks. Can't even drive a stake in that ground. Hate it.

I hate to take pictures of the hens sometimes. Both Ellie and Georgie sometimes just look stained from our red dirt. And Ellie is coming off a terrible molt. She recently had two episodes that looked like mini strokes so I'm watching her as she grows in her feathers and gets her weight back. Georgie is fine, fat and sassy, just blotchy-dirty all the time.

I have never seen chickens molt so much as this year!! My Brahmas are just getting over a very heavy molt, like almost bald molt, and there this years chicks. Really everything I have are. Got read of my hatchery reds and started over with some heritage breeds.Except for the LB's and Leghorns are still hatchery. Might sell off the LB's for some good Breeder Buff's instead. But I so do love the LB rooster. He's one of a kind. LOL In temperament in mean.

Alot of mine have had a hard molt this yr. Last yr. some layed through the molt but not this yr. I have given extra protein when I could .
They look pitiful at times and seem to lose their status in the flock as well. Sad. But they will be back.

All my Dels are great foragers. The rooster and hen I got from Wekiva earlier this year are the best - which isn't always a good thing since we live at work. (I caught Chuck in the warehouse chilling while guys were driving forklifts around and pouring concrete. Lady liked to lay under a towable generator.) LOL. Now everyone is confined to the run during business hours. Even though they range the farthest, those two also roost before all my chickens, but the younger Dels will stay out until its almost completely dark. If I go in there at night to check on them, they will hop off the roosts to try to follow me and my flashlight out.

All my Dels are great foragers. The rooster and hen I got from Wekiva earlier this year are the best - which isn't always a good thing since we live at work. (I caught Chuck in the warehouse chilling while guys were driving forklifts around and pouring concrete. Lady liked to lay under a towable generator.) LOL. Now everyone is confined to the run during business hours. Even though they range the farthest, those two also roost before all my chickens, but the younger Dels will stay out until its almost completely dark. If I go in there at night to check on them, they will hop off the roosts to try to follow me and my flashlight out.

Haha, they are certainly related to my Isaac, then! Always underfoot! Robin's are descended from big Ike.

Haha, they are certainly related to my Isaac, then! Always underfoot! Robin's are descended from big Ike.
They are great foragers , They take a walk to the garden to eat kale ,rape ,s.chard collard greens etc in the garden, a stoll thought the blueberrys bushies then in the woods then back on the front porch looking in.

Back
Top Bottom