Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

I can't speak to SOP, but I have hatched a lot of Delawares recently (well, maybe 50 or so?) and these guys all look a lot like mine... Nice to just have around. 
I am pretty sure that in the cockerel you are looking for a fuller/deeper breast and the tail should be angled differently. (See pictures from prior poster's link).

For me, I cannot seem to hatch a Del cockerel with a deep breast yet- mine are very wide from shoulder to shoulder but not deep at all (they are flat). But perhaps the deepness needs more time than I give my guys. Also, I have not yet been able to get a good tail in terms of angle or feather look. I have one cockerel who has a pretty good angle on his tail, but he has SICKLE tail feathers!

It's tough to find Delawares with deep chests. It's best if you start with non-hatchery birds that already have the deeper chests, and then evaluate your breeders very carefully so they don't lose the deep chest. Longer keels (should extend well beyond the legs) helps with good breast meat distribution. Longer keels I think also help with wider spread tails. I'd say most hatchery Delawares lack width across their back at the base of their tails, so you get the more triangular birds. I'm just not convinced you can ever get there starting with the more "refined" hatchery birds. Getting started with some good sturdy birds is essential, and these days it's also possible.

You'll see a chesty bowl shape on even the very young cockerels ... though the good ones need a while to build up their bone structure early so there might not be a lot of meat on the frame until they're a bit older. But the shape will be there.

If you get the right shape, you'll get some nice meat.

It's tough to find Delawares with deep chests. It's best if you start with non-hatchery birds that already have the deeper chests, and then evaluate your breeders very carefully so they don't lose the deep chest. Longer keels (should extend well beyond the legs) helps with good breast meat distribution. Longer keels I think also help with wider spread tails. I'd say most hatchery Delawares lack width across their back at the base of their tails, so you get the more triangular birds. I'm just not convinced you can ever get there starting with the more "refined" hatchery birds. Getting started with some good sturdy birds is essential, and these days it's also possible.

You'll see a chesty bowl shape on even the very young cockerels ... though the good ones need a while to build up their bone structure early so there might not be a lot of meat on the frame until they're a bit older. But the shape will be there.

If you get the right shape, you'll get some nice meat.

Beautiful bird! How old was it at butcher? (I have been butchering around 20+ weeks).

Mine are not from a hatchery, but I have been looking for a better Del in any case. I cannot seem to locate a good breeder with readily available birds/eggs near me. (Maryland)

My birds' keels are very long but even at 20 weeks the keel still pokes out quite a bit. Oddly, I have a 21+ week cockerel that has a fabulously wide hind-end and good growth rate but his tail is weird... it kind of goes straight back and not up... Like the picture on the right here of the heritage RIR: http://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/rired or the buckeye here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_chicken

I have no idea what that means (the flat tail) but I am considering keeping this guy just because he is so broad on the hind end and his growth rate is better than the rest.

If you have any idea what a flat tail means, please let me know!

Beautiful bird! How old was it at butcher? (I have been butchering around 20+ weeks).

Mine are not from a hatchery, but I have been looking for a better Del in any case. I cannot seem to locate a good breeder with readily available birds/eggs near me. (Maryland)

My birds' keels are very long but even at 20 weeks the keel still pokes out quite a bit.  Oddly, I have a 21+ week cockerel that has a fabulously wide hind-end and good growth rate but his tail is weird... it kind of goes straight back and not up... Like the picture on the right here of the heritage RIR: http://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/rired or the buckeye here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_chicken

I have no idea what that means (the flat tail) but I am considering keeping this guy just because he is so broad on the hind end and his growth rate is better than the rest.

If you have any idea what a flat tail means, please let me know!

I think it means he has a long back. But I'd take a flat wide tail over a high pinched tail every single time.

That bird was older ... I butchered a couple cocks and a LOT of cockerels a few days ago and had some in that general weight range, though I'm pretty sure that one was a cock (nearly 2 years old). If you're selecting for breeding you'll probably want to butcher the best of them a bit older so you can watch them grow for longer to make the best possible breeder choice. I've found giving mine a lot of protein the first few weeks helps them grow flesh along with the bone and they finish out bigger and meatier. So, something like Turkey Starter or Game Bird feed (I like some animal protein in the mix). I had some with decent flesh at 12-14 weeks.

My breeding group, Oregon Delawares, is going to be shipping chicks and hatching eggs this spring. We started with Delawares from Kathy Bonham. There are people closer to you working with Bonham Line birds ... you can find them at the Delaware Poultry Club United Facebook group.

Back
Top Bottom