Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by delawaregirl09, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I took a few pictures today. Beautiful day but windy ...

Lookout duty:

Guarding the flock:

Leave me alone, on I'm on guard duty:

On the outside, looking in:
  2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Evening everyone, just thought I'd check in.

Out of the 14 Delaware eggs that went into lockdown 4 have successfully hatched, 3 I've already moved into the brooder and there's one hanging out in the incubator drying a bit more. There's another Delaware chick that has pipped and has started to zip its way out of the egg, I'm a little concerned about him though. Where he's broken the egg open it looks really slimey, a bit bloody and it almost looks as if the chick is struggling to break free. [​IMG] I'm not sure how long ago it pipped, I only discovered that it was hatching when I removed some chicks earlier.

Here's what he looks like right now. Is this a time where I should intervene and help the chick out of the eggshell? I don't want to potentially hurt him but I don't want him to die trying to get out either. [​IMG]

This baby is the one that just hatched a couple hours ago, [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, 11 out of the 14 W/BW Ameraucana eggs have hatched! [​IMG] There are only 3 left, no pips yet, we'll see what happens. Also, no pip from the BBS Orp baby yet either. Sorry it's taken me some time to get back here, I worked early this morning and then came home and crashed for a couple hours. I'll hopefully get some pictures up later tonight.

Thanks everyone.
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, the two guys watching together is priceless! I see some very nice pullets in there!
  4. kathyinmo

Phoebe's daughter (group 2)

Miss Holly the BR that lives with Dels group 2.
  5. kathyinmo

Is this an April Fool's Day joke? My signature line said, "Ends April Fool's Day," when I wrote it .... now it says, "ends member appreciation day." ????

ETA: What is going on? I didn't write that .... I wrote A P R I L F O O L S D A Y not what that says! Funny Nifty!
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Kathy,it says Ends April Fools Day when I look at it. . . . .you have some really pretty pullets in there- maybe Ike is a "hen" roo - like some stallions produce great mares far more often than great stallions - they call them broodmare sires. They have nice tail black and hackles!!!!

Tricia, congratulations!!! Please do put pictures up- we'd all love to see your babies!!!!

Jeremy- hope things went better overnight!

Another beautiful day today!!!! Good morning all!!!
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Morning, all. Drinking my coffee and checking up on you rabble-rousers. I haven't abandoned you entirely, just want to spend most of the day OFF line rather than on.

Beth, in avians, the female determines the sex of the chick, not the male. Lisa got six cockerels out of her eggs, not one pullet. [​IMG]. That is rare, but it happens.
  8. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Morning Cyn....Morning all!!

I got 2 pullet eggs from my Del girls yesterday....Sugar and Sassy are both laying AND IN THE NEST BOX!! Now if they would just teach L'il Bit and Sasha to do the same.

My BBS rocks are hatching!! Its Day 20 (not unusual for them)....7 out so far, but none of the barred rocks yet. We are headed up to my parents house this afternoon (not too far from Cyn's house really) as my Dad got the boys signed up for some "elite trout fishing class" that will be on the Upper Chattahoochee river tomorrow. They are soooooo excited. Weather here is beautiful but the pollen is killin' me! Allergy season has arrived...oh well, its better than snow.

Hope everyone has a great "Good Friday".....keep Ladyhawk in your prayers

Catch ya later!
  9. Vexor

Vexor Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    Good morning all......Here is a pic of some of Claudia's Dels and a couple of RIRs. They are six days old and very full of energy. I'm going to try and attach a pic of a morning in Central Oregon The outdoor photo was hour ago....there is another two inches of snow now. (today)....[​IMG]

10. kathyinmo

Congratulations, Patrick! Nice brooder you have there, too!

The weather ... YUK! You can keep it, don't send it this way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by