Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by delawaregirl09, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    My new Delaware babies are fluffy and thriving! Out of all the chicks that have hatched thus far, the 3 Dells that are in the brooder are the biggest and the most personable. I'll sit next to the brooder, lean in close and they'll come running over to see me! I'm already in love with them. [​IMG]

The chick that was hatching yesterday still hasn't made it out of the egg this morning. I checked on him this morning before I left for work, he was zipping again. It doesn't look like he's given up, but I'm worried still. Today will be his second day trying to get out of the egg. What do I do if he can't make it out? Should I help?

I'm stuck at work again until this afternoon, so I don't have any new pictures yet, I've got all evening off though. I'll go home, take a nap and then post some pictures of the new arrivals. [​IMG]

Have a great day everybody!

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Yard full o' rocks :

I got 2 pullet eggs from my Del girls yesterday....Sugar and Sassy are both laying AND IN THE NEST BOX!! Now if they would just teach L'il Bit and Sasha to do the same.

My BBS rocks are hatching!! Its Day 20 (not unusual for them)....7 out so far, but none of the barred rocks yet.

Congrats on the Del girls laying in the nest! YAY!

How many BBS Rocks are ya hatching? I really love the blues. Just a nice color, in my mind! Hope you have a great hatch!

Jeremy .... forget that nap boy! Get the pictures posted! We've been waiting a long time for them! [​IMG]

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Patrick, that picture of the snow froze my bones. . . .but those perky little Del babies of your warmed me up again. Congratulations!!!!

I don't explain myself well, Cynthia, I am sorry. I didn't mean Ike was responsible for which sex, just that perhaps he had an influence on the quality of his female offspring. I think I was thinking that because I just got through reading something in Backyard Poultry about a roo with a good producing mother having good producing daughters himself. And that all his hens I have seen are SO nice.....is it harder to produce a great roo?

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Congrats on the Del girls laying in the nest! YAY!

How many BBS Rocks are ya hatching? I really love the blues. Just a nice color, in my mind! Hope you have a great hatch!

Jeremy .... forget that nap boy! Get the pictures posted! We've been waiting a long time for them! [​IMG]

Kathy....I'm hatching 8 SQ BRs and 16 of my own BBS rocks. Planning to keep the blue rock girls from this hatch for myself. I am partial to the blue chickens too!! So far 12 have hatched...all BBS. Several BRs are pipped, but nothing out yet

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Scott, when you say BBS Rocks- does that mean you get a splash rock? What does that look like? I love blue, too. Ultrasuede is my eye candy!

6. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Yes ma'am!!! I get blue, black and splash rocks. Rigth now I have 1 little splash rock roo growing up (to replace my mean, nasty, SOB of a blue rooster) and I have 1 grown splash hen, Maya. She is such a sweet thing, likes to be carried around.

Looks like I got a BUNCH of splash in this hatch. Will take pix and send some to you.....I could always hatch some babies for you toooo!
    [​IMG]

TTYL

Scott

7. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Beth

Here is a pix of 2 blue rocks, a barred, a black and a splash

[​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Scott, I think my Rock, Alice, is a light blue. Had her pegged as a splash, but she has no accent feathers at all. She's just a nicely laced very light ice-blue color. Yours looks like her, but I can't tell-does yours on the right in the pic have any accent feathers yet?

Sorry, Beth, I misunderstood what you said. I'm moving too fast, doing too many things at once!

Ladyhawk is now in Nebraska...and it's snowing! The weather radar showed nothing coming yesterday then BAM! Poor thing, she'll need a vacation after this move.

9. Yard full o' rocks

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Cyn

The one on the right is blue. She never grew any lacing in, so her and her sister (that was like her) were sold. I kept the two darkest, best blue laced hens, one of which is in the foreground of the picture.

10. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    Question for you Del experts. I am new to chickens, and chose to get 2 Del roos because I heard that they are very docile birds. Now, people are telling me they are aggressive.(I am getting more opinions than i ever hoped for.[​IMG] Do you think that in general they are nice roos? (I realize that every personality is different, just wondering what experiences you have had.)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by