Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Good Morning! Hey I have a question to run by everyone. I was in the Del coop with my girls and noticed that a few still have some speckles on their backs. They are full grown and laying. In the APA book it says that backs are supposed to be white so is this a DQ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
No- she's in Michigan. I know because I'm stalking her for her Orloffs
wink.png

HappyMTN- ooh- Orloffs! Those are kind of cool -

Bec- pm popcornpuppy and see if she knows the PA Del person!

Germaine - how old are they? It could depend on age. I am trying to remember that conversation.
I do believe that all "smut" is supposed to disappear by a certain age- I am a bit worried about that, also. Luke has some on his back yet- maybe they need the fall molt before it disappears? I think it was discussed way back when on this thread, but not sure about when. I have to keep remembering that it takes longer than usual for this breed to come into full bloom, so to speak. And I need to start taking notes again- too much good stuff in this thread for my pea brain to retain without a notebook!

Germaine, thanks for the link and that idea- I just have to figure out how to do all that- I amnot the best on a computer.

As to culling- I honestly don't know how long to wait- how heavy is it? If it is just a little bit, you might want to forgive it, especially if the chicken has really strong positive traits. BUT I do not know, and am only guessing. Can you post a pic? I am curious.

Edited to add- I just did a search on "seriousbill" thinking I would come up with that discussion and the WEALTH of info that woman has posted is still all available- I didn't get to the smut stuff yet as I got caught up reading about tail black and barring- just thought I would let yall know that the search engine is our friend as far as her posts go- all the stuff Cyn has quoted and more is still on here!

Last edited:
I will try and get some pics, thank you Beth. All you need to do (and you can try it out now) is open another BYC so that you have 2 open.

First go to the messages in BYC and find a message you don't want. Erase the persons avatar name and put in joletabey then go to the other BYC page and find something you want to "save" and then copy it (click on it and highlight and choose copy)

pop back over to the message page and paste the stuff you want to save in the area for messages and then just send it to yourself.

I always leave at least one of "me" in there so I can just pull it up, change the subject and put in a new message to send.

Sounds hard but it is easy. You don't have to be platinum to do it either, but with all I save it just is so much nicer to not have to worry about how many I have.

I keep the Marans one open because I am always finding good info that this pea brain would forget or lose after about 5 minutes if I didn't have it in my saved messages

I also like to do the recipes!

ok silly me...I bought two chicks from Meyer hatchery

They are 13 weeks now and one has wings that I've never seen before. There are 27 chicks in that pen and none have this look. Is it normal?

41441_dsc02079.jpg

Cheryl, are you talking about the way the two feathers stick out? I had a hen that had that for a short amount of time- it changed when she molted. I just thought it was a juvie growth thing. Maybe someone else knows more than I do.

She is a nice chunky girl for 13 weeks, and it looks like she will have good hackle color. Nice tail black starting to come in, too.

Back
Top Bottom