Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

OK on this page I saw a pic of one. Why could that be?
They should be all yellow but they were originally developed from a cross of a Barred Rock and a New Hampshire so variabilities can happen. In my old line of Dels. chicks would occasionally hatch with some brown fluff and even striping down their backs. They always grew into their correct coloring at adulthood. Just my personal experience.

OK on this page I saw a pic of one. Why could that be?
hatchery and other Dels that are not being bred to SOP will often have greyish smudging. Breeders who are working toward SOP will generally speaking not use smudgy chicks in their breeding program.

My first dels were from MPC and they all had smudges. I have a friend now who raises them and breeds to SOP and none of hers do. They should look like this picture from catdaddyfro:

I believe these chicks are from kathyinmo's line

The ones not bred to SOP will often look like this: pic taken from thepastoraldollmaker.blogspot.com/

Still the darling chicks we all love. My hatchery Dels have been some of my #1 favorite girls!!

Last edited:
I think it is related maybe to them having Barred Plymouth Rocks as a foundation breed but I am a numbskull when it comes to genetics so I don't know for sure.

Hello all! I just waned to let everyone know that come spring I will have delaware chicks available. I have a few people interested in Delaware, and who can blame them really! If anyone is thinking of adding more or interested send me a message and I can set some aside. I have had good experience I. Hatching the majority of my eggs in an incubator.

Last edited:
Hello all! I just waned to let everyone know that come spring I will have delaware chicks available. I have a few people interested in Delaware, and who can blame them really! If anyone is thinking of adding more or interested send me a message and I can set some aside. I have had good experience I. Hatching the majority of my eggs in an incubator.

Look healthy - what hatchery or line breeder are they from ?

Shes cute! I got some god looking girls from them. Im gonna start selecting which ones i want to breed in march. Ive got a few people who love some of my girls and want some eggs for hatching.

I was just on a swap site on FB out of Kentucky and saw someone auctioning off English Buff Delaware Chicks. I thought what the heck?? Then she said, they are really Lemon Cuckoo Columbian ORPINGTONS. Well, duh, I knew that from the body type and the glaring WHITE SKIN.
roll.png
Then, she made the ridiculous statement that "These can be bred with White Delaware as well to get White Delaware pullets." Well, there is only one type of Delaware and it is white. But you cross an Orp and a Del, two very, very different birds in every way, and you don't get a Delaware.

You cannot call an Orp a Delaware just because it has some barring in the hackles. And if you breed an Orp with a Delaware, you DO NOT get Delaware pullets. You probably get a white skinned cross that looks a bit like a Delaware with an entirely wrong body type. What is wrong with these people? They seem to think they can name this imported stock anything you like and make it so. I want to say imported crud because they're going crazy with auctioning it off to unsuspecting folks who don't know a Delaware from a Lt Brahma and making claims that are patently false.

Sorry, I had to vent. I couldn't post on her auction, which is being bid up high and the winner will perpetuate the false information to the next unsuspecting buyer, using the words "English import" to jack up the prices.

By the way, @finnfur , Isaac is still crowing and kicking butt around here, but he no longer roosts. He sleeps on the floor with at least one very loyal hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom