Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
I thought that there was too much smut on his back. Will that go away? I hope he does turn out pretty good!

I will put together another video in the next few days so you can see the hens as well (I think you can tell more by the videos than you can the pictures).

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would not even be looking at the "color," or the smut. Look at the "type." Look for the bowl shape. Look at the size of the skull. Look at the width between the legs. Those are the things I look at. I had a cockerel growing out that I was so looking forward to seeing grow. He was stolen. Anyway, he had terrible color, but I sure loved his type.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_4-06-2011misc088.jpg

Holy smokes! You all did a lot of talking while I was sleeping!!!
lol.png

I am not worried about coloring at this point. I just mentioned it cause I really don't care about the coloring and recognize it will be something I'll be working on down the road. I was hoping for comments about body type, etc. I know they are still young. When do you all think that they are old enough to start getting a good idea of what you have?

I have to post this here as well because I just think its cool. I visited Lincoln State Park, where they have a "living farm" exhibit. They had speckled sussex chickens. I loved the fence!

79085_lincoln3.jpg

Here are some pictures of my new Delawares:

When we unloaded from the car....My Dd was making sure everyone was ok and telling the new arrivals the "rules" of the house...

DSCI0067.jpg

checking out the quarentine pen..

DSCI0068.jpg

DSCI0080-1.jpg

DSCI0088-1.jpg

Hope to use this guy as my breeding roo..

DSCI0077.jpg

DSCI0085.jpg

DSCI0083.jpg

DSCI0079.jpg

I hope to select the best hens from this group and my other two hens to see what I get!! I am excited! (of course I am still learning what to look for!)

Quote:
LOL.. I remember when mine were that young.. so cute.. now she's in college and makes her dear old dad..
barnie.gif

sheps4her, I love that picture of your daughter! How precious that is!
Good luck with your flock!

I have a very mad hen! "Madder than a wet hen!" would describe her. She is broody, and I have not been able to break her, YET! I tossed her broody butt out the door today, and she was ready to take it out on anyone around....

31282_6-27-11misc021.jpg

Quote:
Send her my way.. I can put her to work..
gig.gif

For some reason mine "think" about going broody, but never commit.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Send her my way.. I can put her to work..
gig.gif

For some reason mine "think" about going broody, but never commit.
idunno.gif

I am so sick of broodies I could scream! I quit counting after 25, but am sure I have had around 35 since spring. A couple weeks ago I was on a mission ........ Broody Buster or else! I made a broody buster pen (concrete floor, no nests, no bedding) and tossed in a dozen hens. After 5 days, they were happy to rejoin their flock.
big_smile.png
Well, it worked for all of them except Floozy here.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Floozy is my only Delaware girl with a name. I don't generally name my birds. Floozy is an exception. I could not keep her penned. She would fly up atop the coops and get out. I had to cover her pen in netting. She is just a Floozy, always wanting to be out and about.

31282_dscf1243.jpg

31282_dscf1252.jpg

31282_dscf1200.jpg

31282_dscf1253ab.jpg

31282_dscf1260.jpg

31282_dscf1259.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! she is my "chicken girl", always wanting to help mommy with the chickens! Ya know Kathy, that boy is from your stock. I was very happy to get him. How do you think he turned out? Since I am still learning, would love your opinion.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom