Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Hi Everyone- Sorry, I haven't been around in a while. Just wanted to give everyone an update. My f1s have been laying, but the heat has been off and on so it has been speratic. So I am waiting to see what the Fall brings. I have one cockrel and boy is he huge! I call him Legs, because he is 2x bigger then any of my other Roosters. He is just starting to fill out and get some meat on him. Mine are about 8mths old now. The pullets are huge too. And they rule the roost. Anything they want they get. I love them so much, and they are fun to watch.

Hey Kathy- did you get the last email I sent you? Was wondering how your hatch went?

Quote:
Another email? No. Something is wrong with my email service. Yesterday I couldn't get any emails. Today I am getting old emails, like BYC notices to threads I am subscribed to (a day later). Some of my friends have emailed me and I have still not received them.

The first hatch resulted in 19 F2s hatched. 8 light and 11 dark. I gave away all the dark ones. Next hatch is due Sept 12.

31282_8-29-11f2chicks001.jpg

OOOOOOOOHHHHH they are wonderful! I am so excited about this project. I can't wait till I have some too. Wow that is alot of light ones. I hope they are going to have the columbian color. Are you starting to see any signs of barring in the appropriate places yet?

Looks like I will be setting 28 eggs tomorrow from my first breeding of my young Roo and my 3 best hens. I have been collecting eggs for 14 days which I think is pushing it but I have collected 3x's daily and have been turning the eggs and keeping them cool. I Am so excited I can hardly stand myself!!!

Chickenhawk- I hope he fills out for you - I am glad to see that roo improved the hens combs, too. Will you keep me posted on his development, I lost that roo to a dog attack a few months ago and there are not too many of his kids on the ground. I got two really nice pullets, one really nice roo that went east and two more growing out that I have hopes for.

Zanna, good luck!

I have read the past several pages of posts and I would like to let all of you know that my daughter took 6 delawares to the iowa state fair in august and she showed them at 7 other local county fairs in northwest missouri over the summer months. she has done so well with her birds and even though we did not see another delaware all summer, and she had to educate people about the delaware breed at every show, she plans to continue raising them and showing them. She has also made a display board about the delaware breed for her 4h poultry project and even had her main rooster ride on her lap during the parade earlier this month! Although the breed doesn't seem to be shown much, it is being done, and being done by our youth which is a wonderful thing!

That is so great. I did offer my nieces to show my girls if they wanted but they were way to busy horse showing this year to take time out for chickens lol. We didn't see any Dellys at our local fair and it seemed that the judges weren't too knowledgeable about the different breeds either (they had corrected a bunch of the cages and mislabeled them with the wrong breeds).

Back
Top Bottom