Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Quote: I'm so sorry to hear about your little chick.
hugs.gif

Oegbs are incredibly resilient little birds. It sounds like there was more going on with the wee chick. Not your fault. I agree with jophus.
I've kept my oegb chicks with my LF from day one. I've had more issue with the odd aggressive oegb chick (usually a male) pushing their weight with the LF. They aren't called game fowl for nothing...lol.

SunHwaKwon and anyone interested. I would imagine you could substitute SDWs in this.
Thank you for that information! Is #5 the reason that I had all the females show up as SDW females where half cross Crele/SDW males show up as the cross? Here's are few of the females.

Hi again! I was trying to figure out what kind of bird the black and gold one is. Someone on a different thread thought OEG but I was finally able to get a picnext too another Bantam for size comparison. What do you guys think? I dont really think they look like the OEG that I've looked up.

She might be one. Or a cross of one. I have crosses that look similar. Others have more experience than I do...I'd go by what they say.
smile.png

Thank you for that information!  Is #5 the reason that I had all the females show up as SDW females where half cross Crele/SDW males show up as the cross? Here's are few of the females.

If you made the cross in the diagram, then that's how your chicks should turn out. The "intermediates" I assume, are roos with a single barred gene. If you follow the diagram, you should be able to make silver Creles over time.

First Crele is a definite roo. Can't imagine these chicks not being 100% auto-sex, but time will tell.

Those who have followed this thread a while know that I tried my hand at hatching, and raising, turkeys last year. Got my first egg from 10 month old girls today. Very satisfying.

Last edited:

First Crele is a definite roo. Can't imagine these chicks not being 100% auto-sex, but time will tell.

Those who have followed this thread a while know that I tried my hand at hatching, and raising, turkeys last year. Got my first egg from 10 month old girls today. Very satisfying.

Cute boy! And congrats on the egg! That's awesome.

Hi again. About what age can you sex OEGB? Or any tips on what to look for?

Depends on what type you're talking about.

Duckwing pullets have a darker, fuller eyestripe and solid head patterns. Cockerels will have lighter sometimes broken eyestripes and/or head markings.

In most varieties the males have thicker, more sturdy-looking legs. I start noticing male combs at 2-3 weeks. Seems to me pullets are more likely to hug the ground with perceived danger.

Breast feathering is a dead give away with duckwings. Salmon breast feathers are pullets.

Depends on what type you're talking about.

Duckwing pullets have a darker, fuller eyestripe and solid head patterns. Cockerels will have lighter sometimes broken eyestripes and/or head markings.

In most varieties the males have thicker, more sturdy-looking legs. I start noticing male combs at 2-3 weeks. Seems to me pullets are more likely to hug the ground with perceived danger.

Breast feathering is a dead give away with duckwings. Salmon breast feathers are pullets.

Is this a male looking comb?

Back
Top Bottom