Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Thanks much! I was thinking wheaten on the roos because these guys seem to be a dumped breeding group and that made more sense to me that they would match the hens. How can you tell the difference visually between wheaten and BBR? I checked my SOP over before making these guesses and their color descriptions are nearly identical.

Any clue what I would get with those roosters over these hens color wise?

A BBRs hackle and saddle will match in color and be darker red, while a wheaten will show some gold in the hackle and saddle. At least that's how they should be. They could be wheatens as it's hard to judge a bird's true color from a photo. The main difference, as you said, is in the hens.

If they are showing any color other than deep dark red in the hackle/saddle, I'd call them wheatens.

Last edited:
A BBRs hackle and saddle will match in color and be darker red, while a wheaton will show some gold in the hackle and saddle. At least that's how they should be. They could be wheatons as it's hard to judge a bird's true color from a photo. The main difference, as you said, is in the hens.

If they are showing any color other than deep dark red in the hackle/saddle, I'd call them wheatons.

I'll have to take a really good look at them tomorrow and see what I can see in their hackles/saddles. One of them seems to have some color in the chest, which I'm sure is not ideal. Thanks so much for the help! I'm hoping I can whip these guys back into shape and perhaps breed them, so knowing what they are is really helpful.

I'll have to take a really good look at them tomorrow and see what I can see in their hackles/saddles. One of them seems to have some color in the chest, which I'm sure is not ideal. Thanks so much for the help! I'm hoping I can whip these guys back into shape and perhaps breed them, so knowing what they are is really helpful.

I'm still trying to learn just a few of the long list of OEGB colors! I only own silver duckwings, and a couple mixed color girls right now. All the varieties are so pretty though, I'd like to have another color, but can't seem to decide on one! In other words, I'm no help with your birds, but wanted to say HI and welcome!! Great job rescuing those sweeties!!
big_smile.png

P.S. be prepared to fall in love with these babies.... they are the sweetest chicks ever! And awesome broodies to boot!!

I'm still trying to learn just a few of the long list of OEGB colors!  I only own silver duckwings, and a couple mixed color girls right now.  All the varieties are so pretty though, I'd like to have another color, but can't seem to decide on one!  In other words, I'm no help with your birds, but wanted to say HI and welcome!!  Great job rescuing those sweeties!!  :D

P.S. be prepared to fall in love with these babies.... they are the sweetest chicks ever!  And awesome broodies to boot!!   

Porcelains are some of the prettiest OEGBs I've ever seen. They look like they're made of Mother of Pearl.

[/IMG][/IMG]
Got some mire pics hopefully they are better than last. This is a chick from the same hatch. There are 4 with combs like this, one in between and one with a large comb. Then tbe two striped chicks I posted up before

This one is the stand out as being a cockeral.
As far as I know they are oegb but parents are different colours if that makes a difference.
There was another rooster running with them and the oegb hens snuck 2 eggs under after being with that roo for one day.But definitely only 2.

I'm still trying to learn just a few of the long list of OEGB colors!  I only own silver duckwings, and a couple mixed color girls right now.  All the varieties are so pretty though, I'd like to have another color, but can't seem to decide on one!  In other words, I'm no help with your birds, but wanted to say HI and welcome!!  Great job rescuing those sweeties!!  :D

P.S. be prepared to fall in love with these babies.... they are the sweetest chicks ever!  And awesome broodies to boot!!   

Thank you! I'm actually already pretty hooked - I had one of these guys from a hatchery in my first ever batch of chicks, a little red pyle hen. She was the sweetest little thing, always flying up to my shoulder to ride around.

Needless to say, I am already making plans for two breeding groups, and am thinking about hunting down a porcelain rooster for the porcelain hen :th Yep, I'd say I'm hooked.

Back
Top Bottom