Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Thanks for the input so far! In that brooder I have 27, I believe. I really want to get them all out and take individual pictures but I know that will be quite a chore! I opened up their little gate into the big run so they can start meeting some of the rest of the flock but most of them were not brave enough to venture out yet. In my other brooder I have breeds that are LF or bigger bantams like cochins, and I've also been letting them explore the main run. They are a lot more brave.

I am surprised that my blue quail (?) girl is a girl. I really had them flipped as chicks, thinking the very brave and bossy one was male and the shy one was female, and then the shy one grew a huge comb and the other didn't!

I think out of the 27 I might have 7 red combs so far and another 5-10 that are big but not red yet. I really want to keep them all, male and female, but I know from experience how stressful that can be for everyone.

BTW, Toes' boyfriend is Twinks, which is short for Twinkie, because he looked like a little twinkie as a chick. It's one of the dumbest names ever, but he knows it and comes running when I call it so I think it's here to stay. He loves Toes so much but she really gives him a hard time when he tries to get amorous with her. He is definitely my lowest ranking cockerel, maybe because he's the smallest, though I haven't seen her engage with anyone so maybe its nothing personal.

Thanks for the input so far! In that brooder I have 27, I believe. I really want to get them all out and take individual pictures but I know that will be quite a chore! I opened up their little gate into the big run so they can start meeting some of the rest of the flock but most of them were not brave enough to venture out yet. In my other brooder I have breeds that are LF or bigger bantams like cochins, and I've also been letting them explore the main run. They are a lot more brave.

I am surprised that my blue quail (?) girl is a girl. I really had them flipped as chicks, thinking the very brave and bossy one was male and the shy one was female, and then the shy one grew a huge comb and the other didn't!

I think out of the 27 I might have 7 red combs so far and another 5-10 that are big but not red yet. I really want to keep them all, male and female, but I know from experience how stressful that can be for everyone.

BTW, Toes' boyfriend is Twinks, which is short for Twinkie, because he looked like a little twinkie as a chick. It's one of the dumbest names ever, but he knows it and comes running when I call it so I think it's here to stay. He loves Toes so much but she really gives him a hard time when he tries to get amorous with her. He is definitely my lowest ranking cockerel, maybe because he's the smallest, though I haven't seen her engage with anyone so maybe its nothing personal.

Haha! I like the name Twinks/Twinkie!! So you have "Twinkie Toes"!!
lol.png

Much better ratio of males/females than I've seen lately! Keep them all until you see which ones are little trouble-makers. I've had multiple males that have grown up together do fine for quite a while. By that time, its a little easier to part with certain ones.

hatched some chicks yesterday, what do you guys think? They're from a self blue rooster and a bbred hen. I'm trying to get something like a blue with red hackles and saddle.

I was told this chick may be a splash OEGB. Can anyone confirm? I have a rescued standard OEG and would love a banty if this is one (and hopefully a pullet) first two pics are the banty at 2days old. Second is 6 days and feathers are grown out just past the body

hatched some chicks yesterday, what do you guys think? They're from a self blue rooster and a bbred hen. I'm trying to get something like a blue with red hackles and saddle.

Self blue (lavender) as I understand it, is a recessive black diluting gene. I don't have experience breeding lavenders, but I believe it is impossible to have lavender and red in the same bird. It has the same effect on red as black, diluting to a straw color.

Find yourself a good "normal" blue if you want blue reds.

I was told this chick may be a splash OEGB. Can anyone confirm? I have a rescued standard OEG and would love a banty if this is one (and hopefully a pullet) first two pics are the banty at 2days old. Second is 6 days and feathers are grown out just past the body

I've raised a ton of splash chicks, and that's exactly how they start out.

Self blue (lavender) as I understand it, is a recessive black diluting gene. I don't have experience breeding lavenders, but I believe it is impossible to have lavender and red in the same bird. It has the same effect on red as black, diluting to a straw color.

Find yourself a good "normal" blue if you want blue reds.
I see, the first batch i bred only had 2 chicks, both hens, and both came out with no trace of bbred
same mother

I see, the first batch i bred only had 2 chicks, both hens, and both came out with no trace of bbred
same mother

Maybe someone else with self blue experience can chime in. Hard for me to comment when I've never bred them. I'm curious as to how you got self blue from them, unless the mom is a split somehow.

I think the hen in front is showing BBR, as much as she can.

Maybe someone else with self blue experience can chime in. Hard for me to comment when I've never bred them. I'm curious as to how you got self blue from them, unless the mom is a split somehow.

I think the hen in front is showing BBR, as much as she can.
The mother is bbred with maybe a silver duckwing cross like 3 generations ago. She looks all BBRed. The chicks this time came out with the two black ones, which never did the first time, and these chicks all have this red on their faces if you look close, the batch before just looked all light blue as chicks

Back
Top Bottom