Show off your Peas!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, May 27, 2012.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    What kind of new peahens did you get? You should show pictures of your Spalding boy's train. Maybe some people might know what is going on with it. I don't know if maybe even something could be chewing on it? I know my poor white peacock Frosty keeps getting his train stepped on by the peahens and it makes it look a bit messy and frayed. That would be sad if your peafowl killed your Trag hen. Did she have something to hide behind?

I really missed seeing your photos. I have a picture of your Spalding boy saved on my phone. He is by far my favorite Spalding peacock that I have seen.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Love all the pictures, spam away!

-Kathy

3. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    One is a spalding and the other is an opal, possible carrying white eye. She is originally from Sid, and has crooked toes, but they are not an issue like it would be for a peacock. The trag hen had begun to hang out in a ground nest box and she definitely had places to perch where no peafowl could get to her. She also had places to hide. Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This cameo BS spalding hen is going white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This seems to have lost clarity after uploading...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    She is a smaller hen, but look how big he is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What is the problem here?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    [​IMG]Not the best picture, but you can kind of see where he stripped his feathers at the base of the train.

Your spalding is eating his own feathers. I have a bs male who does the same thing although not every year. I'll see if I can find a pic of his train that shows it, he didn't do it last year though. I do not think it was a lice or mite issue, none of the other birds housed with him did it. I have heard it can be a result of a bird not getting enough protein, but I've also heard it can just be a bad habit often brought on by stress or boredom, they get used to doing it and can't stop. Kind of like nail biting in people. I don't know if any of these theories are true or not, just repeating things I've heard.

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I just love your collection of birds!!! Those new ones are pretty and that Spalding hen is very pretty.

As for the feather problem with your pretty boy, I feel like I have seen that in photos before...

Hopkin's Livestock has a photo of one of their Burmese Boys showing almost the same thing:
    [​IMG]

I am not trying to pick on Hopkin's in particular, that was just the first photo I found. I have seen several photos of different birds with this issue. I think they are feather picking, but the odd thing in your case is that parts of his feathers look torn off. I would try and watch him and see if he is personally picking at his feathers, or if another bird in his pen is doing it. You might have to get a nose ring or something to put in temporarily to stop this. Read Mountain Peafowl has photos of their green peacock with a nose ring in to help prevent feather picking but they have since taken it out, so he or whoever is picking won't need to wear it forever.

6. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    The cameo hen might be going blind so keep an eye on her. My Cameo peacock did the same thing and before he was a year old was totally blind. If she does go blind please do not hatch any of her eggs because they will carry the blind gene and then people like me will be dealing with blind birds. I also wanted to let you know that chick 13 is doing great and will be wearing band number 13, I thought it was fitting to give her that number after all she went through [​IMG] Give that peacock some vitamins in the water and it usually stops doing that to his train. I have a female goose who has been eating feathers and I added the vitamins and it stopped. Could be cause they are not getting to eat what they do when there is no snow covering the ground.

7. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Wow Blue Creek Farm your birds are beautiful. Their colors are so striking against the snow. I love that spalding peahen in the 7th and the last picture the most. Very pretty. I really don't need anymore but **** she makes me want to get one. I love that nice closeup picture of your boys back also.

Thank you guys. I am glad you didn't mind so many. I will add some more in a little bit.

8. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks to all of you! I am hoping the cameo will not go blind, but I am aware that with them whiteness is a s sign of them going blind. I sure won't be breeding with her. The bronze progressive pied is another whole story. I will probably use him to breed just not on progressive pieds, since I was told that is too strong of a gene that causes complications. I will watch the peacock to see if he does eat his feathers, but I will also give them some vitamins. Minx, I also did notice that in other pictures of green peafowl, which is interesting. The person I got my spalding from said he had a male that plucked his train during the winter and was useless that breeding season.

9. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    I am interested in your comment about the progressive pied gene that it was to strong and would be complications ?? Do you have any more info on this gene and what complications it would cause ? Thanks connerhillls

10. calikid

calikid Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by