Show off your Peas!

My wild peacock has began to molt. Colbolt is still holding on to his train feathers though. Sage's peachicks are fluttering around. Blue, Charlie, and Delta are fanning at Echo. Echo hasn't done any fanning that I've seen of. I'm starting to believe Echo is the only peahen out of the four.

My wild peacock has began to molt. Colbolt is still holding on to his train feathers though. Sage's peachicks are fluttering around. Blue, Charlie, and Delta are fanning at Echo. Echo hasn't done any fanning that I've seen of. I'm starting to believe Echo is the only peahen out of the four.

Two of my breeder cocks have dropped a few train feathers here and there, but Rocky has dropped almost all of his train in two days! And the yearlings brooder house looks like the kids had a pillow fight.

I am thinking I may leave all the rest of the eggs the hens lay and see if they will set them themselves.

I finally finished building our pen for the peas! It's 400 sq ft total, for now. I can easily add on as soon as i find another good deal on chain link panels again. Until then, the babies are moved in it and out of my living room.

Last edited:
I finally finished building our pen for the peas! It's 400 sq ft total, for now. I can easily add on as soon as i find another good deal on chain link panels again. Until then, the babies are moved in it and out of my living room.

Sweet , you did good, very pretty babies
do you have dogs to patrol the area while you sleep? coons can easily get into the pen and they are quite stealthy
critters when they are hungry.

Last edited:
Zaz, i don't own a dog, but we live on farm land with no trees except the ones around my house. Our chickens are all free range and i no longer close the coop at night. They can eat the chickens if they show up and need a meal. There is a farm dog who roams through about 1000 acres if not more, and takes care of the rabbit, snake, rat, and cat populations. If he can catch it he eats it. He chased the chickens only once and i yelled at him and never again has he chased them. I find him drinking water on the porch and eating some scraps in the mulch pile which keeps him coming over for a quick snack. When i mow he followes me so he can grab what the mower scares out of the grass. He has eaten a few of our cats who run from him but we have 2 cats who were use to dogs and don't even flinch when he walks up and he doesn't eat them. :confused:. So maybe the roaming farm dog takes care of the wild animal population too? I saw our first skunk down by the creek this year but we dispatched him. I've seen raccoon paw prints down there too, and half eaten cray fish near by. But the creek is far away from the house and normaly dry(just not this year!) What about possums? Do they attack birds? We have a big one who comes on the porch to eat cat food at night. I'm guessing as long as i leave other foods out they will leave the birds alone. We use to have dogs, but when i got pregnant 3 years ago my allergies acted up and we got rid of them. It's been awhile, maybe we should adopt one... All the shelters around here are over flowing...

I have a large pack of dogs here and at night i can find photos of wild critters on my trail cam less that 1000 feet of where all my birds come up to roost, wild critters can tell how long it has been sense a dog has been in the area and if the wind is in their favor they can tell if it is coming towards them, if that dog is eating from the mulch
pile you can bet so are the wild critters, one dog can not possibly keep a 1000 acre area clear of wild things.

I would put a few strands of hot wire around the bottom, if you are home during the day
you can just run it at night when you are sleeping.

Look at the time stamps on these photos this is not 300 feet from my new barn, just cause you do not see them in the daytime does not mean they do not come around at night, take it from me i have studied their habits over the lat 5 years when i discovered trail cams

Zaz, i don't own a dog, but we live on farm land with no trees except the ones around my house. Our chickens are all free range and i no longer close the coop at night. They can eat the chickens if they show up and need a meal. There is a farm dog who roams through about 1000 acres if not more, and takes care of the rabbit, snake, rat, and cat populations. If he can catch it he eats it. He chased the chickens only once and i yelled at him and never again has he chased them. I find him drinking water on the porch and eating some scraps in the mulch pile which keeps him coming over for a quick snack. When i mow he followes me so he can grab what the mower scares out of the grass. He has eaten a few of our cats who run from him but we have 2 cats who were use to dogs and don't even flinch when he walks up and he doesn't eat them.
hu.gif
. So maybe the roaming farm dog takes care of the wild animal population too? I saw our first skunk down by the creek this year but we dispatched him. I've seen raccoon paw prints down there too, and half eaten cray fish near by. But the creek is far away from the house and normaly dry(just not this year!) What about possums? Do they attack birds? We have a big one who comes on the porch to eat cat food at night. I'm guessing as long as i leave other foods out they will leave the birds alone. We use to have dogs, but when i got pregnant 3 years ago my allergies acted up and we got rid of them. It's been awhile, maybe we should adopt one... All the shelters around here are over flowing...

Don't let allergies be a reason for not having a LGD. I thought long and hard on getting another dog after over ten years without one. Most people say that a good livestock guardian dog like a Great Pyrenees should be treated like livestock and that they should relate to the livestock as one of them, their charges to protect. Making them a human pet is a mistake, but I can attest that they are way too cute to ignore as puppies.

Even at six months...

I also did not realize how important it was to have a pair when we got them, I am so glad we did. It has been pretty easy so far, I had to give up the neat yard for the puppy litter and only had to beat one of them once with a dead guinea. Now to get them to quit eating eggs and we will be all set.

Back
Top Bottom