Show off your Peas!

Hi all, Here are my two new members so far still waiting on one more under a broody hen.

May 29th 2014 - Amy Farrahfowler

June 7th 2014 - Bernadette

The newest one Hatch under a Broody Salmon Fav Hen, I put three eggs under her one stayed clear and the other two were dark, She had stayed off the nest several times and I thought for sure that I would not see any results. Now maybe the other will make it today or tomorrow.

Now the big question, she is still in the coop with the broody hen, do you typically remove the chick and put in a brooder? I don't know if blackhead is a problem here and I really don't want to find out. I have some chicken chick i may be able to swap out with.
The glowing dog eyes made me laugh.
I'm am so jealous of all you people that can have peafowl! Ahhhhh! :)

These were taken in April..his train has grown some and a lot fuller...does it make a lot of difference with only two? I have a yearling pied I could try to put with them but Mindy is so aggressive towards other birds...scared what she might do. I also have a male (white) paired with the pied but only the two pairs. I'll try to upload more recent pics in a little bit. Yes not as flighty as he use to be but Mindy is a camara hog. Suppose to be javas...
I meant if they were only 2 years old that could explain why you haven't gotten eggs (not only 2 birds). Sorry if I was unclear about that, I think the greens reach sexual maturity a little later than the blue varieties, so she could just be too young to lay yet.

Thanks:) New to them but totally love them!! When I first got them they were flighty...still can't feed them but Mindy gets real close when I get around her. Morks spurs are about 1 - 1 1/2 inch long .... Thought he was still younger than I was told but at least 3. That's ok though ...if none this year hopefully next:). So enjoy looking at everyone's peas...beautiful!!!!!

Yesterday was the first day for all the babies to come out of the brooder box, they had so much fun learning about the world,
It took a while for the first one to fly out but then everyone got brave and came out to.

This morning when i opened the box they came running out and were fluttering all over with joy
smile.png

Taking the leap

Learning about the world, i love to watch them
love.gif

They had a very long day, they had already put themselves to bed when i went to check on them.

Wanted to add my guineas have finely figured out how to raise a brood they have a dozen keets and have made it for 12 days, they are out of the woods pretty much, last year they were able to raise 1 but it took 7 of them, this is the first time since 2005 that i have seen them raise a batch more than 2 to 3 days, they always disappear

Last edited:
These were taken in April..his train has grown some and a lot fuller...does it make a lot of difference with only two? I have a yearling pied I could try to put with them but Mindy is so aggressive towards other birds...scared what she might do. I also have a male (white) paired with the pied but only the two pairs. I'll try to upload more recent pics in a little bit. Yes not as flighty as he use to be but Mindy is a camara hog. Suppose to be javas...
Hi welcome to BYC!!
smile.png
I am going to say that I don't think your Javas are Javas, and if you don't agree with me that is okay, besides I don't own them, but I want to own green peafowl and have been learning all I can about them until that day. The reason why I say they are not Javanese or even green peafowl is because of the wings. They are still young, but I have seen younger green peafowl with more color on their wings. On the top of the peacock's wing, there are light brown feathers with some barring. Green peafowl will have some barring in areas, but not with the light brown. They will have a sold black wing with blue/green shine. Therefore I think the peacock in this photo is a Spalding (but a high % one with a lot of green blood probably).

The peahen looks very brown on her wings. Once again she should have vibrant blue on her wings and be just about as colorful as the peacock if she is a Java. I am not trying to attack you or anything I am just trying to inform you and some people might have another opinion on this but for comparison here are some photos of green peafowl:
Peacock

Peahen

Just putting this out there for info. Green peafowl can be tricky to distinguish from Spaldings.

Hi there...no I'm not offended or feel attacked...before I joined I read about the java discrepancy...I'm not real 100%sure myself but I am just as happy with them either way. I'm not trying to sell or even trying to breed for $...I love the beauty that god has created either way. I don't want her breeding with anything other than mork because there is always a chance they are...but that's my thinking on it anyway...lol. I appreciate all your info though..it does make me think about different scenarios...either way if they are Spaulding it took a lot of years to get that close..and if they are javas then I'm fortunate:) as I said..thank you for the advise and info:)

Would it cause problems if I were to get a hen next year or later on? I was originally hoping to just have one peahen and one peacock but ended up with three boys. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just as happy with all boys :)

Our only peababy of the year has arrived! (Mom and Bubbles both abandoned their nests this year). Good hatching, Chicken Girl!
Freeranging peababies face a lot of dangers, I hope the little guy makes it OK...

By the way, while I was watching, Chicken Girl pooped and then ate her poop and tried to get Peababy to eat it too. Is this common? If so, is it just nutrition or is it one of those things where the poop has bacteria the chick needs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom