Show off your Peas!

Beautiful babies
clap.gif

Nanu's crest will grow out it's tight upright stance they are just crowed and all trying to grow in at the same time, i have seen tight upright crest in juves here pretty often.

Thanks Zaz, that is good to know about the bunching but what I was pointing to for @Garden Peas was the two white feathers in the crest. I had thought that they had been picked off but it looks now like they are just starting to bloom on top.

Slow day, how about some pics?

Kids getting some vitamin A and K

@GardenPeas blow up the pic and look at the crest on Nanu, top right.

I think I see -- it looks like his white crest feathers are right next to the cute white patch on the top of his head... And I'm trying to remember, is he a Spalding? Or does he just have a tight crest? It seemed like the crests were all coming out of a tiny spot on the head when my babies were babies. He is very handsome.

Betty White Eye trying to show off for Pistol Pete who is more interested in the ducks on the creek...

Hey, did you borrow Zaz's cat for your photo shoot???
lau.gif

Great photos, thanks!
clap.gif

We would have to ask DylansMom but I think Nanu is only Silver Pied but I have been trying to remember for sure myself.

Yes Zaz and I have been sharing Pistol Pete for photo shoots for a while now, he is very photogenic.
gig.gif

Nanu is a Pied out of a Silver Pied mother and Pied father. He is phenotypically not a silver pied, but he could be carrying the genes needed to produce silvers with the right mate. There is no green in him, that I am aware of anyway. Poop Baby was actually a full brother to Nanu, only he was phenotypically silver, this pair produces a lot of silver chicks.

Mom & Dad

An older brother.

An older sister.

Nanu is a Pied out of a Silver Pied mother and Pied father. He is phenotypically not a silver pied, but he could be carrying the genes needed to produce silvers with the right mate. There is no green in him, that I am aware of anyway. Poop Baby was actually a full brother to Nanu, only he was phenotypically silver, this pair produces a lot of silver chicks.

Mom & Dad

An older brother.

An older sister.

Wow, Nanu comes from beautiful people, I mean, birds
gig.gif
Love that last hen... gorgeous markings
love.gif

Hi all, It has been a bit since my last post here. Since then I have been given three new birds.
To test the P education I have gotten from the BYC Pea Section, this is what I am guessing I have. :)
All comments encouraged, be easy on the grading scale.

Photo's to follow.

Age I would guess at yearlings.

I have a Hen that I would say she is a Cameo ? She has a slight touch of green at the top of her neck don't know if you will be able to see it in the pic.

I have two Males that I would guess at IB but they have a bit of white in their flights. SO?

Hen on the Log.

Male #1

Male #2

Mom & Dad

An older brother.

An older sister.

Shazbats! I can start a family album! Fly and be free!
jumpy.gif
So would the right pairing be a silver pied hen? I am thinking a trip up to Leggs might be in order. DW says to purge the IBs and get more interesting colors. Lucky me!

Hi all, It has been a bit since my last post here. Since then I have been given three new birds.
To test the P education I have gotten from the BYC Pea Section, this is what I am guessing I have. :)
All comments encouraged, be easy on the grading scale.

Photo's to follow.

Age I would guess at yearlings.

I have a Hen that I would say she is a Cameo ? She has a slight touch of green at the top of her neck don't know if you will be able to see it in the pic.

I have two Males that I would guess at IB but they have a bit of white in their flights. SO?

Hen on the Log.

Male #1

Male #2

I'll take a stab at it. The hen looks like it is Black Shoulder to me, possibly Cameo Black Shoulder. The brown flights are throwing me a bit.
Cock number one is IB possibly split to pied because cock number two in the third picture has some white below its wing on the breast and above its leg if they are siblings.

Shazbats! I can start a family album! Fly and be free!
jumpy.gif
So would the right pairing be a silver pied hen? I am thinking a trip up to Leggs might be in order. DW says to purge the IBs and get more interesting colors. Lucky me!

I think that would be a great idea if you want more Silver Pieds, but perhaps not the only way to get them. I have a Pied hen, she is not phenotypically silver, but is out of silver parents. I have paired her with a pied male and a white males whose histories are unknown to me, and she has produced Silver Pied chicks with both males. From this I would infer that while she doesn't visually show Silver she can pass it along to offspring, which seems more likely than both unrelated males carrying the Silver genes.

As for purging the IB's I think if it was me I would hold onto a male and maybe 2 or 3 hens that look to be pure. While the unique colors are "OOHed and AAHed" over on here, I have found that IBs are the bread and butter of the market. They are the most sought after year after year, at least in my area. You obviously cannot sell them for as much as you can a peach or a purple pied, but many people only recognize IB and they turn their nose up at the other colors. My Opal has prompted questions such as "What's wrong with that one?"
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom