Show off your roosters

Sorry to hear that...We have alto Rios but our first and best is Colonel...he is my avatar. He is so good to the hens. Never aggressive. It will be a very sad day when he is no longer.
He's a very good looking barred rock! ( I'm guessing that's what he is. I'm sorry if I'm wrong.) It's great when there nice to the hens. The gentlemen
smile.png
: ) I had a beautiful dark Brahma That got killed by a fox, I was very very sad when i found him. He was such a beautiful gentle bird.
hmm.png

LF Black Ameraucana Cockerel (he is blind in one eye)

Bantam Mottled Cochin Cockerel

Bantam Black Ameraucana rooster

Frizzle mutt Cockerel

Bantam Black Ameraucana cockerel

Quote:
th.gif

Hens lay more than just 3 yrs. I had a silkie who lived to 14, she quit laying at 10 years old. I also had a lakenvelder live to 11, she also quit laying at 10 years old. Now granted they didn't lay alot of eggs. I got all of 3 eggs from my lakenvelder her last year laying, but she was still laying and I even hatched them eggs. Your hens that are bred for egg production (hatchery leghorns and all) will quit alot sooner then others, but most still lay past 3 years old. All hens will slow down on the eggs they lay in a given time period as they age. Same with roosters, most will last past 3 years old. My father had an ee rooster that was 10 yrs old and my father was still hatching eggs off of him. In fact the only reason my dad quit using him was because the rooster died.

Not trying to be mean or rude, but this is why alot of people that are new to chickens think their birds or no good after the first egg laying cycle. Which simply is not true.

What breed is he I love him
He is a spangled Thai. His pullet just went broody on I think 11 of their eggs, so I'm interested to see what they produce.

The tip of his comb got a bit nipped by frostbite, but it doesn't look like he's going to lose any.

This is the pullet. She's a solid hunk of meat for sure, as heavy or heavier than him.

He is a spangled Thai. His pullet just went broody on I think 11 of their eggs, so I'm interested to see what they produce.

The tip of his comb got a bit nipped by frostbite, but it doesn't look like he's going to lose any.

This is the pullet. She's a solid hunk of meat for sure, as heavy or heavier than him.

Really beautiful, both of them!

Back
Top Bottom