Show off your small or cheap made coop

meganpearson, please share how the posts are connected to the satellite dish. Did you drill holes through the metal for bolts? I have two of these dishes and would love to make coops out of them.

Yes, just drill through the metal to attach the dish to the posts. Ran an ad in the local wanted bulletin for free removal of BUD dishes, was hoping for a fiberglass dish but hey...this one was free so I won't complain. Finally got the other post for the door up today so hopefully soon I will be finished, will post a pic:)

We recently moved into an old dairy farm that has been downsized, most of its land sold off for homes in the 90's. All that's left is the house, large barn and silo on 4 acres. I decided to section off a small portion of a lean-to that was attached to a wing of the barn for a chicken coop, primarily because it was inexpensive and half-built already. All of the supplies were scavenged from the barn! The siding was in a feeding trough, the doors were all over the place and the two windows were in the coop already (see first picture). The four original windows inside the coop needed scraping, gluing, glazing and about 8 panes of glass (also salvaged) but they were all successfully restored. The only money that went into the coop was for screws,latches and a pair of hinges. I still need to build the nesting boxes and add some roosts inside but the chickens are now at home here, still in their brooder box but at least not in the house!

The coop area before (cleaned):

The coop exterior after:

how much venting do you need per bird? i want to make sure i have enough but not to much to let all the heat out in winter.

I leave alot of venting , and then cover the coop with greenhouse plastic in the winter . If you notice my walls are open on the ends along openings on 3 sides , but i left 1 wall completey solid so i can turn it into the wind in the event of cold night or severe weather .

Back
Top Bottom