Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

I'm at 35-40% the first 18, then 55% for lockdown. I'm going to give the dry method a try the next time...maybe that will help...

RIRJen ~ I'm in central Ohio! We're (kinda) neighbors!
celebrate.gif

What incubator(s) are you gals using? I've found a little dry is better than too much humidity with any incubation.
Me too! Since I started using the drier settings, I find the Silkies pop out of their shells much quicker! It used to take hours from pip to pop, now in the last few hatches, they pip and are out in an hour or so! I use a King Suro 20 incubator that has an automatic humidity pump, all digital. Kind of like the Brinseas without the price tag! The humidity will fluctuate with the outside humidity here, and I don't sweat that any more. I set the humidity on the bator at 20%, then let it ride. For the most part, it hovers around 30-35%, sometimes lower, sometimes higher, depending on the ambient humidity. At lockdown, I bump it up to 55%, and again let it ride. Seems like the less I worry about it, the better my hatches, at least with the Silkies. Now, if I could just get my Marans eggs to follow the same way...
roll.png

Thought I would share some pictures of a partridge showgirl (with bowtie) that came out of my hatch from last week. She's a pretty little thing! We don't have a partridge breeding program going on right now...but I think we might start one just so we can keep her!
big_smile.png
She is SO POOFY!

RIR...I just had two hatch out. I'm really excited about them. They are different in looks. One has more white stripes, the other brown stripes. One has more of a vaulted head..the one with the brown stripes. So cute!

Have to edit..the partridge I have are Silkies, I have two showgirls that are quite bare..not sure about that. I have an older one with the muff and bowtie, it's cute to me. Will have to see how these turn out.

Question...One does not look to have a bare neck. Still wet. Maybe I will be able to tell better by morning, but I'm thinking not. Is this something that can happen when you order showgirls? You may get a Silkie in there once in a while? I know they are crossed. Right? Thanks!

Last edited:
OH! LOVIN' that partridge showgirl!!! I'm hoping for some once my partridge hen starts laying...what colors did you cross to get that beauty, RIR?? Sorry...still a newbie...

I'm using a Hovabator with the circulated air. This is my first year hatching so I didn't want to make a huge investment, plus I'm hoping that my Silkie girls will be broody enough next year to keep me from using the 'bator too much. My guinea keets hatch beautifully - I've got 4 that hatched out this morning with the remaining 2 pipped...the 4 SG eggs in with them have no signs of hatching and are also due today. Oy! Come on hens! Get your broody on!!
gig.gif

Here are my two showgirls. One with a bow tie, think it's a buff..and the other is a white with no bow tie. Showgirls..quite different than Silkies! Who thought this up? >? :))

Hoping that bow tie gets thicker!

She wasn't camera shy..white baby showgirl No bow tie

Thinking this is a buff in color ~ showgirl, with a bow tie

Showgirl babies.. You either love em, or leave em. :) Glad I gave them a try, I think they are cute.
Think they're getting tired of the photo shoot!
Yep! Sleeping baby showgirl chickens.

Last edited:
RIR...I just had two hatch out. I'm really excited about them. They are different in looks. One has more white stripes, the other brown stripes. One has more of a vaulted head..the one with the brown stripes. So cute!

Have to edit..the partridge I have are Silkies, I have two showgirls that are quite bare..not sure about that. I have an older one with the muff and bowtie, it's cute to me. Will have to see how these turn out.

Question...One does not look to have a bare neck. Still wet. Maybe I will be able to tell better by morning, but I'm thinking not. Is this something that can happen when you order showgirls? You may get a Silkie in there once in a while? I know they are crossed. Right? Thanks!
Yes! If there is a Silkie in the pen with Bowties, or if it's a Bowtie x Bowtie breeding, you can get Silkies. Here's the formula:

NN x NN = 100% NN
NN x Bowtie = 50% NN, and 50% Bowtie
NN x Silkie = 100% Bowties
Silkie x Bowtie = 50% Silkies and 50% Bowties
Bowtie x Bowtie = 50% Bowtie, 25% NN, 25% Silkies

Ahh, bookmarking your post on the formula..and thanks for the compliment. I'm getting a kick out of them. Keep going in to see them. They make me smile. :)

Back
Top Bottom