Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

I am fascinated by the showgirls and want to add a couple to the flock I am starting this spring so I'll be looking for 9th+ generation eggs if I can find any and afford them this March as I'd love to do an Easter hatch. I've done some reading on the breed and breeding to get good quality and what I've read says basically that the showgirl hen should be mated to a silkie roo. I've never gotten too much into genetics -never had a need, and I am new to chickens. So, I'm curious as to why that particular mix. Why not a Turken roo and a silkie hen? I'm just trying to understand. (That and the fact I plan on keeping my turken roo I hatched last month and my silkie if it's a hen...lol.)

Was out cleaning the coop today, and integrating some shizzle chicks into the flock. Got some cute pictures to share.
Blue shizzles...................

White shizzles....

My favorite Blue Sizzle, her name is Matilda:

Ernie, my Sizzle Roo that makes the Shizzle babies

These are some of the best i've seen.

I got some great news today. One of my two twin showgirls is a Roo but the other is clearly growing to be a pullet. I was not looking forward to having to get rid of both of my show girls.

These are some of the best i've seen.

Thank you! I have got the fluffy feet on most...I am working on getting the beards thicker on the whites, the blues are turning out perfect in this generation, very thick, but the whites are still a little more sparse than what I am aiming for. Another 3 months, I can get started on the next generation in the whites :D
I also get one that pops up every now and then with 6 toes. Working on that too. I am super excited for Spring-- I have a black SQ Silkie roo that is a big poofball, he will be going back with the blue shizzles so the next batch of blacks and blues should be super fluffy.

I am fascinated by the showgirls and want to add a couple to the flock I am starting this spring so I'll be looking for 9th+ generation eggs if I can find any and afford them this March as I'd love to do an Easter hatch. I've done some reading on the breed and breeding to get good quality and what I've read says basically that the showgirl hen should be mated to a silkie roo. I've never gotten too much into genetics -never had a need, and I am new to chickens. So, I'm curious as to why that particular mix. Why not a Turken roo and a silkie hen? I'm just trying to understand. (That and the fact I plan on keeping my turken roo I hatched last month and my silkie if it's a hen...lol.) 

If you breed showgirl to showgirl you lose beards, bowties, and feathering around the vent. To keep them fluffy you breed showgirls back to a Silkie roo and get 1/2 showgirl babies that stay nice and fluffy. Mixing a Turken Roo and a silkie hen is how the showgirls begin, but it takes several generations to get the typical black skin, beards, bowties, five toes, etc. Basically you want the bird to stay as much silkie as possible with only the naked Neck gene showing itself in the last generation.

To get the frizzle, you use a frizzled silkie and a showgirl hen, but the frizzled showgirls have to be bred back to a regular silkie roo so the frizzled feathers are not too brittle. So for mine I have to keep a frizzled silkie roo with the regular Showgirl hens and a Silkie Roo with the frizzled showgirl hens. Both pairings produce 1/4 Shizzles (Frizzled Showgirls), 1/4 Smooth Sizzle Showgirls (Showgirls with regular hard feathers) , 1/4 Sizzles (Frizzled Sikies), 1/4 Smooth Sizzles (Silkies with reglar hard feathers). So it takes a lot of chicks to get female Shizzles after only 1/4 hatch and then you weed out the boys haha :D

Last edited:
If you breed showgirl to showgirl you lose beards, bowties, and feathering around the vent. To keep them fluffy you breed showgirls back to a Silkie roo and get 1/2 showgirl babies that stay nice and fluffy. Mixing a Turken Roo and a silkie hen is how the showgirls begin, but it takes several generations to get the typical black skin, beards, bowties, five toes, etc. Basically you want the bird to stay as much silkie as possible with only the naked Neck gene showing itself in the last generation.

To get the frizzle, you use a frizzled silkie and a showgirl hen, but the frizzled showgirls have to be bred back to a regular silkie roo so the frizzled feathers are not too brittle. So for mine I have to keep a frizzled silkie roo with the regular Showgirl hens and a Silkie Roo with the frizzled showgirl hens. Both pairings produce 1/4 Shizzles (Frizzled Showgirls), 1/4 Smooth Sizzle Showgirls (Showgirls with regular hard feathers) , 1/4 Sizzles (Frizzled Sikies), 1/4 Smooth Sizzles (Silkies with reglar hard feathers). So it takes a lot of chicks to get female Shizzles after only 1/4 hatch and then you weed out the boys haha
big_smile.png
Yes, I understood the generations to get a quality, but the info I read stated specifically that you needed to breed a silkie roo to a NN hen and then the first gen showgirl hen to a silkie roo (and continuing this). I was wondering if and why it made a difference wether it was the NN hen and silkie roo or NN roo and silkie hen, and the same for the showgirl+silkie. Does it matter which is the hen and which is the roo and why?

I don't know why, good question! I wonder if the size is the reason? A turken roo might be too big to mate a banty silkie hen? I know my bantam roos will mate LF hens, but my LF Roo has no interest in the bantam hens. :confused:

Sorry I misunderstood the questions :D

Reading this back I see what you are saying about even the bantam NN silkie male (showgirl male) to silkied hen. Still don't know! Haha :D When you said NN roo I was thinking Turken, not showgirl. Now I get what you are saying! :highfive:

Last edited:
I don't know why, good question! I wonder if the size is the reason? A turken roo might be too big to mate a banty silkie hen? I know my bantam roos will mate LF hens, but my LF Roo has no interest in the bantam hens.
hu.gif

Sorry I misunderstood the questions
big_smile.png

Reading this back I see what you are saying about even the bantam NN silkie male (showgirl male) to silkied hen. Still don't know! Haha
big_smile.png
When you said NN roo I was thinking Turken, not showgirl. Now I get what you are saying!
highfive.gif
When I say NN I do mean Turken as Turkens and NN is synonymous and showgirls are the result of a NN/Silkie mix but I think you get what I am saying anyway. :) Trying to figure out why if there is a reason, it matters what sex which is. I have a Turken (NN) Roo, I believe I have a silkie girl (they are only 4 weeks, so can't tell for sure yet on the silkie). BUT what I read said that you need to breed a Turken (NN) HEN to a silkie ROO. Will it not have the same out come if it's a NN Roo with a Silkie hen? And the saame for the showgirls as it said the showgirl should be a hen and the silkie should be the roo. I just don't understand why/how it matters which is the roo and which is the hen, I mean, I'm sure there's a reason, I'm just trying to understand it...lol I'm sorry I am confusing you.

Back
Top Bottom