Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Pardon me while I hog this thread....
hide.gif

I had 2 new beauties arrive via USPS this week so they are in quarantine. The hen has presented me with 2 eggs (much to my excited surprise!). What will I get with a Showgirl x Showgirl?? I put them in the 'bator since I've got a throng of guinea eggs percolating...hmmm...
If you breed a showgirl to a showgirl you will get a non bearded non bowtied bird. this is a good thing! the reason being is if you breed the double naked showgirl to a silkie you will get 100% bowtied showgirls. I have experimented with this via Petey, the double n showgirl rooster. he has been bred to silkies only and all of his offspring (over 25 so far) have been bowtied showgirls but 0% of them have been bearded. just food for thought i suppose.
Debbi is correct, though...Petey has a very red neck, but his offspring all have dark necks. Maybe if you used a FEMALE offspring (with less of that red testosterone filled neckage) and bred it back to silkies instead of the other way around like i did then you wouldnt have to worry about it

You mean I will have to get another breeding pen going?
yesss.gif

That sounds like fun! It will be super fun to see what hatches and since my goal is quality SGs this might not be so bad. The pair is really nice, purchased from a BYC member, with good skin coloring and toe spacing. I actually purchased them to keep the skin coloring true black on my future SG generations. My current SGs have great coloring so I wouldn't want to lose that. I just love this SG stuff!! Thank you both for the information!

A little off topic, but I think it is worth it.
A peep here has a nice SG that just started crowing. Has to go NOW.
Here is a link, if you are in So Cal, it is worth the trip.
Just wanted to repost him here before he became a Craigslist statistic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/658531/apparently-lady-gaga-is-no-lady

I hope that tri-5-ron doesn't object.
No objections here !
thanks for the help
here's a couple pics of "Cruela DeVille"... (or maybe now it's "Crow-ela DeVille"), LOL!

If anyone is interested in him, please let me know.
Last night, he did not crow at 3am,...
But he did welcome me with a little "good morning triple chorus" a few minutes ago
D.gif

Last edited:
No objections here ! thanks for the help.
I'll try to post more pics of "Cruela DeVille" here, a little later today.

If anyone is interested in him, please let me know.
Last night he did not crow at 3am,
But he did welcome me with a little "good morning triple chorus" a few minutes ago
D.gif
Wish I was closer, I'd take him in a second! Have you tried listing him in the For Sale section here on BYC??

Hello all!! I waas hoping you might help me in my search for a Buff SG. I have been looking now for 6 months and have hatched out over 50 shipped eggs trying to get a buff showgirl... to no avail. If anyone has any leads on any or some reliable eggs that are not a variety of colors... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! I dont care if its a hen or roo, young or adult, so long as its breeder quality. I have an amazing group of buff silkies from CJ, catdance, and Bobbie porto. I would love to add a SG to. please let me know!!!

Found this sizzle showgirl at a swap this weekend, then fell in love with the one behind her and used the :"she needs company" excuse :)

I've just read the entire thread since last night.
I'm new to chickens, but stumbled upon Showgirls when I went to a breeder to buy some other chicks yesterday. Of course I fell in love!
She only had one left, which I bought along w a silkie, but knew another breeder who had a lot of them. Turns out the 2nd breeder lives close to me! So I came home with one more Showgirl and 3 more Silkies.
Now, I wish I had gotten a couple more Showgirls but I've gone from 0-17 chickens in a month! I'm going to build a separate coop for the Silkie/Showgirls soon, they are in the basement now cause they are TINY!

Back
Top Bottom