Showing a Buff/Lavender Orp cross?

careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA
IMG_20190911_175458481.jpg
chicks 1.jpg
My daughter is showing a pullet I hatched in the VA State Fair on Saturday. Obviously the color isn't recognized by the APA, but besides that she is a very lovely built pullet. It's really just for fun and tickets to the fair. Sure I could have shown one of my pure bred hens but she is beautiful. I'm I correct to assume she has no chance of placing due to color? Thanks!

Hi there. :frow

If it was just a buff/Lav cross it should look more like your rooster. Many breeds are working on that variety and are calling it blue cream or porcelain (maybe Isabel also).

I would presume you are correct, but I have not shown ever yet. Maybe under the "any other clean legged" category? I think is where non standard colors are shown.

Glad y'all are having fun! Best wishes for a great showing! :fl

Hi there. :frow

If it was just a buff/Lav cross it should look more like your rooster. Many breeds are working on that variety and are calling it blue cream or porcelain (maybe Isabel also).

I would presume you are correct, but I have not shown ever yet. Maybe under the "any other clean legged" category? I think is where non standard colors are shown.

Glad y'all are having fun! Best wishes for a great showing! :fl

Thanks! It would make sense the she would look Lavender but actually they don't breed true when crossed and always come out as brown chicks that mottle black/buff. I'll be crossing her back to my roo to see if I get Lavender in the spring. I'm not sure what category they put her in by I told the administration that she was a cross. It should be fun either way!

Back
Top Bottom