shrubs for quail that give them cover + food ideas?

potatoyay

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Specifically zone 4-6. I need a shrub to give quail some cover but dual purpose that grows edible fruit or something for them. We eat their eggs, so nothing that would be toxic to us. any ideas?

Unless your birds have a LOT of space per bird (large area or low population), they're going to destroy anything you plant. Their poop is also really hot, so again, they need a lot of space or that will kill the plants too.

You might try something that you can protect the roots and trunk with hardware cloth. I've always liked the idea of planting a grape vine that would give them shade and fruit, but keeping live plants with quail is a real challenge.

Unless your birds have a LOT of space per bird (large area or low population), they're going to destroy anything you plant. Their poop is also really hot, so again, they need a lot of space or that will kill the plants too.

You might try something that you can protect the roots and trunk with hardware cloth. I've always liked the idea of planting a grape vine that would give them shade and fruit, but keeping live plants with quail is a real challenge.
Really? We had clover for a while as a cover crop, which was great for them. They ate it and hid in it a bit... but our quail are in need of hiding spots and we think something natural would be nice for them, plus as dual purpose to give them a bit of fresh food or to attract insects. We're also thinking of shrubs which aren't really as finicky...

I have chickens not quail and they have a large area. I plant shrubs for them and protect the roots with some broken pavers and bricks.
Their current favorite is butterfly bush (which planted itself) and I am growing honey berry bushes for them which I think will finally get big enough to give them shelter this summer.
I moved two native magnolias and I think they will be good too.
The hit poop is really only a problem against seedlings. Not such an issue for shrubs or trees.
I am pondering a dwarf apple for them but I think I would need several for pollination.

Back
Top Bottom