Sick bantam hen….

Duckmom239

Chirping
Jun 1, 2018
Hey everyone! So a week ago my bantam hen started sneezing…so I quarantined her..then a few days later I noticed her eye started looking very strange….now today it’s not looking good at all. And it’s seeping out white pus…I put ointment in it yesterday and been giving her vitamins and antibiotics. Her whole flock is sneezing and I’m so worried this is more serious than just a bad case of fowl pox. Has anyone ever seen this?? Pics attached

Attachments

• 92C8C2F9-FB7D-46B8-89AD-C17E6D6D2C90.jpeg
    92C8C2F9-FB7D-46B8-89AD-C17E6D6D2C90.jpeg
    883 KB · Views: 6
  • FDFDBFEF-BD2B-4904-80E1-FB44AAD01202.png
    FDFDBFEF-BD2B-4904-80E1-FB44AAD01202.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • BF68FE04-82B2-4F1A-A136-ECEACE23E115.png
    BF68FE04-82B2-4F1A-A136-ECEACE23E115.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Hey everyone! So a week ago my bantam hen started sneezing…so I quarantined her..then a few days later I noticed her eye started looking very strange….now today it’s not looking good at all. And it’s seeping out white pus…I put ointment in it yesterday and been giving her vitamins and antibiotics. Her whole flock is sneezing and I’m so worried this is more serious than just a bad case of fowl pox. Has anyone ever seen this?? Pics attached
What antibiotics are you giving and the dosage?

If the eye is seeping white pus, then try to press as much as you can. Flush the eye with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin a couple of times a day. Keep pressing out the pus as much as possible.

The sneezing along with eye pus, I would suspect some type of respiratory illness. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, etc. can be common. Antibiotics like Tylan/Tylosin can be used to treat symptoms of Mycoplasma or may help with secondary infections when dealing with a virus like IB.

I do see a scab on her eye, but it's not very clear. A close up photo with someone holding her may be better. The scab might be from scratching at the eye, a peck or possible Fowl Pox, but I would expect to see more lesions if it were FP.

Back
Top Bottom