Sick chick- diagnosis help needed

sarahDG

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
About 2 weeks ago, I lost my favorite chicken (an Ameraucana) due to a mystery illness. I initially thought that she was egg bound, but I took her to a vet who had no idea what was wrong with her, but did determine that she was not egg bound. The vet was not able to figure out what was wrong, but she did identify additional symptoms. I have two other hens that are just fine (a barred rock, and a blue andalusian). I just got two new chicks (another Ameraucana and a buff orpington) that will eventually be incorporated into the flock (will need another bit of advice on that later). I want to determine what went wrong so that I can be sure to keep my ladies from the same fate.

Other things to note... The coop bedding is pine shavings, and is cleaned completely every two weeks or so. The ladies get to free range in our back yard about 4-5 days a week for a few hours each time. Also, much to my embarrassment, we were having some problems with mice/rats getting into the run to eat the feed at the time that we lost her.
sad.png

Here were her symptoms....

My observations
Had not laid an egg in about 3 days
She was increasingly lethargic, just laying in the run near the waterer.
She was dropping feathers
Panting (constantly, not intermittently)
pale beak and comb

The vet added,
She had a fever of 105
She had mucus in her throat and crop
She also had some dirt in her crop as well

Thank you for any advice that you have....

I dont know what it may be but it seems as if she was quite dehydrated, whats the weather like where you are?
Hope that some other byc-ers can give some better comments than me
poor chookie
sad.png

Good question about the weather. We live on the N. CA coast, and this year, it's been unseasonably cool. Foggy mornings and then about 70-75 in the afternoons. Not too hot at all. THe mystery continues.

Good question about the weather. We live on the N. CA coast, and this year, it's been unseasonably cool. Foggy mornings and then about 70-75 in the afternoons. Not too hot at all. THe mystery continues.

Back
Top Bottom