Sick chick - need advice!

MamaManda

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2011
SW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
A friend and I bought chicks from a local breeder a couple weeks ago. One of her chicks, a 6 week old Russian Flower Hen began showing symptoms this morning and appears very ill. She lays in only one position, on her belly, and has her head pulled down under her. She struggles pretty hard when picked up, and appears to have an unusually large bulge in the lower part of her abdomen. Her poop is "bloody." I have not seen it myself, so I can't say any more than that. She has had her chicks for about 2 weeks, and all the others appear healthy. Could this be coccidiosis? We are not sure if they were vaccinated or not, but they have not been on medicated starter. She has been quarantined.
The only other thing that seems weird, is she is not as feathered out as the other chicks her age. She still has a lot of downy feathers that don't look very healthy.
Can anyone give us advice on how to care for her? My friend is very VERY upset. These chicks are her babies, and she would love to hear that there is something that can be done. Thanks in advance!

This chick has coccidiosis, and is very sick. It needs Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp or powder 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. All the chicks should be treated at the same time since they were all exposed. If the chick is not drinking, the med needs to be given to the chick , but be careful not to choke it. Wth coccidiosis, they will lose their appetite for food, but if you wait to treat, they will stop drinking, and you are in trouble. After the Corid, she needs to give probiotics and vitamins for 1 week. Corid is found in the cattle meds section of feed stores.

Thanks for the reply Eggcessive. We are now wondering if it may be wry neck, and not coccidiosis. The chick has developed "neck problems" and cannot hold it's head up. We have been feeding her with a dropper, and she seemed better for a while, but has regressed, then improved several times in the meantime. She does have an appetite though, and can now eat by herself. She is also drinking, but cannot stand up, or hold her head up.
Her poop appears normal now. None of the other chicks are sick, as of yet. We are still researching wry neck, so if anyone has experience with it, we'd love to hear from you!

Back
Top Bottom