Sick chick?(pic)

Saroco

Songster
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
The Wonderful Land of Oz
Amelia is one of my 7 week old pullets... when she breathes, the marked spot moves in and out. She seems fine in every other way..It has been snowing here lately, does that have anything to do with it? Should I seperate her from the rest of the chicks?

66990_030.jpg

There is an air filled sinus there. It is not supposed to move when she breathes. Something is interfering with the air flow- it could be an infection, a bit of debris, ect- I would separate her for now for observation. If it is an infection- it may worsen and you will know. Or it may go away. Sorry this is vague, but what you are seeing could be a problem- but hard to know at this point.

I don't know if antibiotics would be appropriate as I do not know if or what kind of bacteria is present. Non antibiotic meds you could try would be vetrx- sort of a herbal remedy for upper respiratory problems. It can be used to flush the sinus area. I would also take good look in her mouth and at the slit in the 'roof' of her upper beak (choana). Look to see if there is any junk stuck or hanging out of there. The choana is connected to her sinuses as well as her nostrils.

Back
Top Bottom