Sick Chicken- headed withdrawn, diarrhea, holding foot up

Johnson47

Hatching
Jan 10, 2022
I am new to keeping backyard chickens and this is my first experience with a sick chicken. This hen is a Rhode Island Red, she’s about a year and a half old (she’s currently molting). We live in Iowa where the weather has been cold the last few weeks. This weekend I noticed a severe case of comb frostbite on this hen and noticed other troubling signs of illness. Low activity level, withdrawn head, not going up on the perch at night, and head shaking. Yesterday, I brought her inside to warm up and watch her closely. She’s been inside for almost 24 hours now and she’s eating and drinking water, still hunched over. Her stools are not normal, they are a yellow watery consistency with green solid masses in them. No blood or worms are visible in the stool. She also is consistently holding one of her legs up, she’ll also look at it and peck at her toes a little. As far as I can tell, I do not see any sign of frostbite on her toes or any signs of swelling. I do not hear her having any breathing issues. My research into her symptoms haven’t helped much and I’m at a loss on what to do. We only have the means to treat her at home.

Last edited:
can you show any pictures of the frostbite and any video or pictures of the hen's poop and any pictures you can give will help
68A81F91-038B-493D-AC1E-29554066AC1C.jpeg

These are the closest google images.

Attachments

• 5D451D6C-F340-46E3-B331-A0DE8AC957F0.jpeg
    5D451D6C-F340-46E3-B331-A0DE8AC957F0.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 7
I am new to keeping backyard chickens and this is my first experience with a sick chicken. This hen is a Rhode Island Red, she’s about a year and a half old (she’s currently molting). We live in Iowa where the weather has been cold the last few weeks. This weekend I noticed a severe case of comb frostbite on this hen and noticed other troubling signs of illness. Low activity level, withdrawn head, not going up on the perch at night, and head shaking. Yesterday, I brought her inside to warm up and watch her closely. She’s been inside for almost 24 hours now and she’s eating and drinking water, still hunched over. Her stools are not normal, they are a yellow watery consistency with green solid masses in them. No blood or worms are visible in the stool. She also is consistently holding one of her legs up, she’ll also look at it and peck at her toes a little. As far as I can tell, I do not see any sign of frostbite on her toes or any signs of swelling. I do not hear her having any breathing issues. My research into her symptoms haven’t helped much and I’m at a loss on what to do. We only have the means to treat her at home.

I have the same thing going on with one of my roosters that stayed outside the coop one night in the single digits…. How’s your chicken doing? How did you end up treating??

Just saw this
just saw your post. Hope your hen pulled through. Im a first time keeper too. I wondered if the frost bitten comb had become gangrenous. Did you try antibiotics?

Back
Top Bottom