Sick chicken HELP ASAP

Birdlover346

Hatching
Aug 4, 2022
Help! I have a mutt pullet and she is wheezing and hiccuping. I have a video but I can’t figure out how to post it. Her comb and wattles are turning white. I have 30 other chickens. None are showing any symptoms. They are free range on an acre. I also have 7 quail separated from the chickens and another 53 quail chicks indoors. It goes right up to a lake and I heard they get bird flu from water birds? I’ve never had any problems before.

Attachments

• 65EA51A8-EDD9-45A2-A9BD-AED1EB586BB9.jpeg
    65EA51A8-EDD9-45A2-A9BD-AED1EB586BB9.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 958CCBF7-9318-46DB-AC3B-E12237D8315D.jpeg
    958CCBF7-9318-46DB-AC3B-E12237D8315D.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 3
Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo (or similar) with a link posted here. How old is she? What is your general location? Is it winter there? Combs can become whitish in winter weather or during a molt when hens are not laying eggs. Sometimes white combs may be due to favus a fungal disease. Is she active, eating and drinking?

Sneezing and snicking or chirping can be from a virus. Do you see any bubbles in an eye, nasal drainage, or other symptoms?

She’s almost 17 weeks. I live in east texas. The lowest it’s getting at night is 60. I had to chase her down to catch her so she’s definitely active. I don’t know how much she was eating and drinking since she’s free range. There are no other symptoms

Well her comb probably is not red yet due to her age. It should turn red when she is close to laying. You can offer some chopped scrambled egg to all of your chickens, and try to make sure that she is getting some. Moistened chicken feed is usually a favorite of chickens, and that might get her eating ao that you would see her eat. Usually with a respiratory virus, it tends to spread among the flock. If you only hear an occasional sneeze or chirp, it could be from dust or something environmental.

Back
Top Bottom