Sick chicken please help

If the vet did not xray her, it is possible that she has internal laying or egg masses inside the abdomen. But it could be cancer as well. I would say that you could watch her for a couple of days, spend more time feeding her, and then decide if she looks to be suffering. If she feels like eating, she may still have some time. I don’t think you need to rush to euthanize her unless she is suffering. You could make an appointment for later in the week, and if she seems to be in pain or miserable, then take her in. I think only you would be able to know if it is time. You may want to have your state vet do a necropsy on her to find out if she had Mareks or not. What state are you in? Here is a list of state poultry vets if you would like to contact them for information:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Dear Eggscessive, I do believe it’s Mareks bc she is floppy today. With a blanket I have her propped and comfortable. I put egg shells and food in a bullet and she has eaten. I give her water with electrolytes in a syringe but she doesn’t not take more than 2 ml at a time and I don’t want her to aspirated . She is in her extra large dog kennel under a tree today and there is a gorgeous warm breeze. I will give her today. Maybe tomorrow. If she seems comfortable it’s ok to wait to euthanize her right? eggcessive,

Dear Eggscessive, I do believe it’s Mareks bc she is floppy today. With a blanket I have her propped and comfortable. I put egg shells and food in a bullet and she has eaten. I give her water with electrolytes in a syringe but she doesn’t not take more than 2 ml at a time and I don’t want her to aspirated . She is in her extra large dog kennel under a tree today and there is a gorgeous warm breeze. I will give her today. Maybe tomorrow. If she seems comfortable it’s ok to wait to euthanize her right? eggcessive,

Attachments

• 832C1BDA-3BBC-4973-8715-92C1D3DF6248.jpeg
    832C1BDA-3BBC-4973-8715-92C1D3DF6248.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E46BF982-12D5-48A7-A27C-9C9F4C2B6158.jpeg
    E46BF982-12D5-48A7-A27C-9C9F4C2B6158.jpeg
    896 KB · Views: 7
How was the vets? Also mites prefer under the wings, along the knees and along sides at base of feathers, they also leave debris so you would probably notice uncommon dirtiness and they'd be visible in evening when they wake up to feed.
Dear Tacothechicken I do believe it’s Mareks bc she is floppy today. With a blanket I have her propped and comfortable. I put egg shells and food in a bullet and she has eaten. I give her water with electrolytes in a syringe but she doesn’t not take more than 2 ml at a time and I don’t want her to aspirated . She is in her extra large dog kennel under a tree today and there is a gorgeous warm breeze. I will give her today. Maybe tomorrow. If she seems comfortable it’s ok to wait to euthanize her right?

Attachments

• A8F95435-BB04-4E29-9BA7-C1D23303475B.jpeg
    A8F95435-BB04-4E29-9BA7-C1D23303475B.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 6AEB0269-35B8-459A-8C84-01A4B3E8A345.jpeg
    6AEB0269-35B8-459A-8C84-01A4B3E8A345.jpeg
    896 KB · Views: 5
I couldn’t do it myself but I am going to call Monday .
I think you are all correct. I think it’s Mareks. The vet didn’t even mention that, he just felt a tumor and said probably cancer. He said he honestly rarely sees chickens. I think with her inability to keep upright and have wing control it’s Mareks. I will call about euthanizing Monday because I am told it only get worse? Is that right?
She does seem cozy in her fluffy bed, she is getting small amounts of food often, and put her in the grass a couple times a days just to let her be near her natural surroundings, she likes the sunshine and I sit by her. I’m just so upset this is not treatable. I love her so much
Dear Sequel, I do believe it’s Mareks bc she is floppy today. With a blanket I have her propped and comfortable. I put egg shells and food in a bullet and she has eaten. I give her water with electrolytes in a syringe but she doesn’t not take more than 2 ml at a time and I don’t want her to aspirated . She is in her extra large dog kennel under a tree today and there is a gorgeous warm breeze. I will give her today. Maybe tomorrow. If she seems comfortable it’s ok to wait to euthanize her right?

Attachments

• 9C36096A-5382-4105-80DD-9BA29C450D30.jpeg
    9C36096A-5382-4105-80DD-9BA29C450D30.jpeg
I'm so sorry. :hugs
To all those that have helped me, I do believe it’s Mareks bc she is floppy today. With a blanket I have her propped and comfortable. I put egg shells and food in a bullet and she has eaten. I give her water with electrolytes in a syringe but she doesn’t not take more than 2 ml at a time and I don’t want her to aspirated . She is in her extra large dog kennel under a tree today and there is a gorgeous warm breeze. I will give her today. Maybe tomorrow. If she seems comfortable it’s ok to wait to euthanize her right?

Attachments

• 28A7D2DB-F0C9-46FA-B108-2AE8EDC12947.jpeg
    28A7D2DB-F0C9-46FA-B108-2AE8EDC12947.jpeg
  • 4CA7C869-292E-475E-A88E-38D80E61A9BB.jpeg
    4CA7C869-292E-475E-A88E-38D80E61A9BB.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 5
I asked him if it could be egg bound and he said no, not after this long. I noticed her symptoms Sept. 29th. He said if it was egg bound she would have died by now, his words. He also said it felt too small to be egg bound.
I'm sorry she is not doing well :hugs
Reproductive problems are not always being egg bound. As mentioned earlier it could be tumors, cancer, abscess, internal laying, etc. Marek's is a possibility, but without testing, there is no way to know for sure.
I too agree, getting a necropsy to see what was going on is a good idea, this will give you answers and maybe even put your mind at rest that this is/isn't Mareks'. There are a lot of conditions that can afflict older laying hens - reproductive cancers/disorders can very much cause the symptoms you are seeing, but they are not caused by Marek's.

I would agree that it is okay to wait until you are ready to proceed with euthanization. She seems to be resting, and it is nice that hou are letting her have fresh air. Her feathers appear to be starting to molt. Molting is rough on some hens. But she probably has something more serious wrong. You may not know until you can get a necropsy. Your state vet would be the best bet to get a diagnosis.

I would agree that it is okay to wait until you are ready to proceed with euthanization. She seems to be resting, and it is nice that hou are letting her have fresh air. Her feathers appear to be starting to molt. Molting is rough on some hens. But she probably has something more serious wrong. You may not know until you can get a necropsy. Your state vet would be the best bet to get a diagnosis.
Right now I am aggravated he didn’t offer anything for pain, but he also said he doesn’t see chickens often and seemed to be guessing the lump was cancer. Can someone please tell me the name of the pain med to ask for tomorrow?
Also, if it is Mareks, how long can this go on, I only got about 10 ml down her today. Now she acts like she doesn’t want to swallow so I’m wondered if her gag reflex is getting paralyzed. This is so heart breaking to not see her improve

Right now I am aggravated he didn’t offer anything for pain, but he also said he doesn’t see chickens often and seemed to be guessing the lump was cancer. Can someone please tell me the name of the pain med to ask for tomorrow?
Also, if it is Mareks, how long can this go on, I only got about 10 ml down her today. Now she acts like she doesn’t want to swallow so I’m wondered if her gag reflex is getting paralyzed. This is so heart breaking to not see her improve
She’s had several brown tarry stools tonight????

The vet would need to prescribe meloxicam, but that is good for pain and inflammation. But you can also give aspirin 81 mg low dose once or twice a day into the back of the beak or give with food.

The black tarry stools could be from bleeding internally, but I have seen black droppings before in normal droppings. If you think it is old blood, then do nit give aspirin.

So sorry that he is not swallowing. I would not try to feed or water him if he continues to do that. Just hold water or food up to his beak with a small scoop or cup. You may want to schedule euthanasia if you vet can do that.

Back
Top Bottom