Sick chicken, probably won’t make it. :(

JulyFly

Songster
Sep 16, 2018
Over Yander
Hello so as you know I recently joined backyard chickens.com and I am probably not even putting this in the correct forum so please excuse that. I just needed some advice on what I can do. I have a sick barred rock rooster that is almost 2 years old and has very severe wry neck. When he was dropped off at my house as just a chick, He had this problem but I didn’t know that I could’ve helped at the time. We’ve tried giving him vitamins but the wry neck still appeared. He took a really big fall yesterday and wasn’t able to get up. We were not at home much that day I left early in the morning and didn’t return until late in the afternoon, so he might have been there for hours. I am really worried because he is now not able to stand up really at all without tumbling and falling back down. I tried to get Him to eat some scrambled eggs but he was not able to eat them, I finally worked with him hours and hours and got him to eat a little bit of yogurt. It’s currently really early in the morning and not daylight outside yet, so I’m not able to go check on him as I’d like. He probably has not it made it through the night but if he has does anyone have any tips so I can help him him to eat some scrambled eggs but he was not able to eat them, I finally worked with him hours and hours and got him to eat a little bit of yogurt. It’s currently really early in the morning and not daylight outside yet, so I’m not able to go check on him as I’d like. He probably has it made it through the night but if he has does anyone have any tips so I can help him?? He’s kind of like my best friend so if anyone has any tips to help or maybe just some kind words in case he hasn’t hasn’t made it....
kind regards,
JulyFly. :hugs

Soo sorry :hugs:hugs I just looked and none of our first aid folks are online now. Do you have nutri-drench? a little straight to the beak may help. If memory serves this is due to a vitamin E/B1 deficiency. Also need selenium for proper absorption. A boiled egg yolk can provide the selenium and amino acids if you can get him to eat it.

Soo sorry :hugs:hugs I just looked and none of our first aid folks are online now. Do you have nutri-drench? a little straight to the beak may help. If memory serves this is due to a vitamin E/B1 deficiency. Also need selenium for proper absorption. A boiled egg yolk can provide the selenium and amino acids if you can get him to eat it.
I don’t currently , but if he makes it through I’ll take a quick run to the feed store to get some poultry nutri drench. I just love him so much and he tried so hard to stand yesterday, I even had to dust him because flies were already all over him. :hit :hugs

I'm so sorry to hear your pal is sick. If he is still alive can you post a photo of him in case there is anything that gives us a clue? It may be that he has a disease called Marek's, which is caused by a virus. It can cause wry neck and other neurological issues that would cause him to have balance problems or be unable to get up or walk. The disease has dormant phases if they are lucky enough to survive it and an outbreak is triggered by stress. This time of year is quite common for birds to be hit with it because of the change of hormones at moult.... or sexual maturity in younger birds. Unfortunately there is no cure for Marek's and the best you can do is offer supportive care. If he is not eating he may be struggling to keep warm, so bringing him in the house or providing a gentle heat source like a heating pad may be beneficial. Giving him a warm bath may also give him a boost if he is used to being handled. If he is unable to get up he may be soiling himself and if there are flies that can quickly turn into fly strike with maggots, so jkeeping him clean is also important. You could perhaps make him a chicken sling or hammock if he is unable to keep himself upright.... they can be made simply from everyday items (see below) and should be adjusted so that his feet can just touch the bottom. Food and water pots can be clipped to the front so that he can access them himself if he wishes.
sling 2.png
You can cut a third hole below his vent for poop to drop through or leave his vent overhanging the fabric. You can also clip a second strip of material over his back to make him more secure. If you have adjusted it as I have suggested and he is still unhappy or panicking in it then do not persevere because the idea is to make him more comfortable not stressed.
I hope you are able to improve his condition but if I am right and it is Marek's it is in the lap of the Gods so don't feel like you let him down by being unable to make him better. It is a cruel disease. Do you have any other chickens?

Im so sorry to hear that your best friends not well. Please let me know how he is and if he makes it love.
I haven't had chickens that long so unfortunately I haven't experienced much to do with diseases yet. I would bring him inside and make sure his warm and going to the toilet and that he eats.

Back
Top Bottom