Sick chicken with spots on her comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vonsharon, Mar 26, 2018.

1. vonsharon

vonsharon Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    Hi all. I had a terrible event over the weekend. My chicken, Rowie (Rhode Island Red), was standoffish Saturday Morning, hiding under a canopy in their large chicken shop/coop. The rest of the flock seemed fine. She was mobile, walked away from me okay, but just seemed, you know, off. Saturday evening, when I went to tuck everyone in, she was hiding under a wheelbarrow and sluggish. I also noticed white, runny poos. I promptly brought her home and noticed some black spots on her comb. She was drinking, but not really eating (ate a little watermelon but did didn't touch her mealworms, crumbles, or yogurt). I put some triple antibiotic on her spots and noticed she had more white, runny poos. Sunday morning, she was even more lethargic and breathing around 45 BPM. I gently checked her vent to make sure she wasn't egg-bound. Our local avian vet is only open weekdays, and the other vets in the area are not bird vets, so I didn't really have any resources. Now I wish I'd found someone online. Anyway, by midday Sunday, she was quite lethargic, resting eyes closed, and breathing 60BPM. I was worried about hydration since she'd stopped drinking, so I gave her 50cc subcutaneous fluids. It seemed to help a bit—her respiratory rate decreased a small amount—but by a few hours later, she was breathing harder and open-mouthed. I was concerned I was behind on fluids as she had more watery stools, so I gave an additional 100 cc fluid realizing she was nowhere near to her normal 200 cc/day as an active layer. Shortly after the bolus, she seized and died. I am so sad! And I'm worried that the other flock-members might become ill with whatever she had. She was just fine and then so sick! I wondered if it might be fowl-pox. If so, she succumbed so swiftly. I didn't see any drooling or notice any sores around her mouth or vent, so though it my be dry-pox. Any help is greatly appreciated! I have never wormed them as the local aviary vet advised me against it. Thoughts? Thank you all so much for your input!

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

So sorry. Can we see a photo to tell if it is fowl pox or peck marks?

3. vonsharon

vonsharon Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    Ah, it happened so fast, and I was in the thick of it and just didn't snap one. But it looked very much like this... Not the dusky tips but the spot farther down.

Attached Files:

4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm sorry for your loss. The only way to know for sure what happened is to have a necropsy done, there are just so many possiblities. Dry pox usually runs it's course with no real problems unless a bird is really weakened by something else. It's also possible that if she was ill then she was attacked/pecked by other birds and those were the marks on the comb. When one bird is weak the flock will often attack and try to drive them away. Sorry I don't have better answers for you.

tootmany likes this.
  5. vonsharon

vonsharon Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    Perhaps, but I am there and around them so much of the time. I get to observe their everyday interaction and never really saw this. If it were the case, though, I wonder what illness they might have noticed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: