Sick chicken with swollen face

5arrowsfarm

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2017
Moravian Falls, NC
Yesterday I noticed one of my hens had a really swollen face. Only one side is affected, the other side looks completely normal. The eye is swollen shut with liquid oozing out of it. Her mouth is so swollen to the point where she can’t swallow or close her beak. She smells pretty bad, which is new. Any ideas on what happened or what medicine I can give to her?

Attachments

• EBA98963-4101-47E7-B9B5-A4BFF1702BE6.jpeg
    EBA98963-4101-47E7-B9B5-A4BFF1702BE6.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 41
I’m starting to think it was some sort of insect or snake bite. I don’t think if it was some internal issue that it would only affect one side of her face. I’m in Moravian Falls, NC. I’ll add that to my profile. Thank you!!
Have you taken a look at her eye yet? And is it the just the eye that smells. When I read your first post I assumed you meant it was the eye that smelled, and a swollen, smelly eye almost always means infection, which is why I mentioned sinus infection, antibiotics, and surgery.
FWIW, one-sided sinus infections are more common than two sided ones, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
My first thought was that it was coryza. Since there are no other symptoms and no other birds are showing coryza symptoms, it's an eye infection. It could be viral or fungal but I suspect it's bacterial due to the foul odor. The infection should be removed from the eye and she should be given an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or doxycycline.
In chickens, benadryl will not reduce swelling, it will however keep the trachea open so she can breathe. I dont think this is an issue in this instance, but if it becomes one, use childrens benadryl. Dosage is 1/2cc orally, once in a 24 hour period.

Back
Top Bottom