akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
I think I have a sick chicken or she’s super stressed. She’s been a bit bullied and today I had to pull her from the coop because her comb was bleeding (someone took a small piece of it) and her comb is more pink than red which I had just assumed was weather related but now I have her in my bathroom drying off (had to wash the blood off her seeing as she’s all white) and the comb is still pale and she has diarrhea with an almost fishy smell to it. I know I can’t keep her separated for too long or the flock may really turn on her but I’m also not sure it’s a good idea to put her back in if it’s not just stress related.

Attachments

• 3DFA262E-D1CB-4636-87AE-3657D21BFDC2.jpeg
    3DFA262E-D1CB-4636-87AE-3657D21BFDC2.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 6
  • B6376979-ACCA-4813-8CAE-31BC55EE9FFA.jpeg
    B6376979-ACCA-4813-8CAE-31BC55EE9FFA.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 3
Is your coop large enough for a dog crate? You can keep her separated with food and water and protected from bullying. How much room to you have and how many chickens? What are you feeding? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, puffy soft, or doughy? Is she walking normally? How do her poops look?

Last edited:
Is your coop large enough for a dog crate? You can keep her separated with food and water and protected from bullying. How much room to you have and how many chickens? What are you feeding? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full,mhard, puffy soft, or doughy? Is she walking normally? How do her poops look?
I have 6 birds in a 6’x 4’ coop which according to the math is enough space and they have access to a 6’x 6’ run although they don’t use the run when there’s fresh snow on the ground. Their food consists of the mixed flocked pellets (I have a guinea cockerel), black oil sunflower seeds, and cracked corn. I also provide fresh water daily because I am using a bowl after their waterer froze. Her poops are diarrhea. As in watery and a bit fishy smelling.

Did you feel of her crop to check for a sour or impacted crop? It should be empty first thing in the morning. You could try giving her some probiotics, and possibly worm her. Corid can also be used to treat her for possible coccidiosis. If you have a local vet, you could ask if you could take in some fresh droppings to check for worms or coccidiosis.

Did you feel of her crop to check for a sour or impacted crop? It should be empty first thing in the morning. You could try giving her some probiotics, and possibly worm her. Corid can also be used to treat her for possible coccidiosis. If you have a local vet, you could ask if you could take in some fresh droppings to check for worms or coccidiosis.
I had no internet access shortly after my response 😭 and just got it back. I waited til dark and kept her comfy in my bathroom hers poops started getting more solid and her comb got darker. She was definitely a stressed out bird and her crop was empty this morning like it should be. I did update the original post with a couple pics of her. And I noticed she definitely seems a bit underweight compared to the others. She’s not even as fluffy bottomed as they are. I don’t even know her breed (tractor supply purchase) so I’m not even sure if she’s up to par with others of her kind. Most of my flock is Orpington

Back
Top Bottom