Sick Chicken?

May 25, 2021
Edmond (Snohomish County) WA
I have a 2 year old Speckled Sussex hen that might be sick? She had been sick 3 times in the past 5 months, while all of my other chickens are absolutely fine! She had mites a while ago but that has been gone for about 3 weeks now. Her wattle is big and red, but her appetite on things like treats just aren’t the same as before. She also seems less energized (for example, another chicken can easily push pass her when fighting for food. She seems less interested in everything, but then, is still participating regularly in daily-chicken-activities), which is the opposite of herself before her first round of sickness in December or November.
Another thing worthy mentioning is that she has actually tried to mate with one of the younger hens. I first thought it was just regular chicken bullying, but I did feel like it look a bit like mating, so I looked it up and it’s the same pose of how roosters mate. Then I looked up if a hen could turn into a rooster because I have heard of a theory of when there’s a flock of all hens, one of the hens will turn into a roo. I never took that seriously, though, until now. Nearly all of the posts I saw online said that it’s possible for a hen-rooster transformation, just the chances are very small. Her wattle though, recently, do seem very red, and maybe the tiniest bit bigger. Her poop is also kind of watery and the brown one is weirdly smelly.
Does anyone know if she’s sick or anything? Is she actually turning into a rooster? Is there anyways that I could stop it? Thanks for all advices.

Here’s some pictures of her:

Attachments

• F7BE3AFB-EC43-493C-A33E-212403BB6C04.jpeg
    F7BE3AFB-EC43-493C-A33E-212403BB6C04.jpeg
    672.4 KB · Views: 52
  • D88F6624-7758-4C93-9E36-BEFBB99863A8.jpeg
    D88F6624-7758-4C93-9E36-BEFBB99863A8.jpeg
    841.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DC756A06-2040-4D3A-AB25-342E6C4189C3.jpeg
    DC756A06-2040-4D3A-AB25-342E6C4189C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 7F5FD182-95A6-4C22-BBC5-AD42286FB1E7.jpeg
    7F5FD182-95A6-4C22-BBC5-AD42286FB1E7.jpeg
    846.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 7ED61E75-3597-4088-8352-6B47FE98E8B1.jpeg
    7ED61E75-3597-4088-8352-6B47FE98E8B1.jpeg
    732.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BD04E5AD-F900-4537-8F3D-5ED12AFA4C63.jpeg
    BD04E5AD-F900-4537-8F3D-5ED12AFA4C63.jpeg
    985.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 246F7752-DA95-4B5D-A693-7B23DD1651D8.jpeg
    246F7752-DA95-4B5D-A693-7B23DD1651D8.jpeg
    983.6 KB · Views: 4
Actually I just checked again. There are mites, but very little amounts. Could that be the problem?
Mites can be an issue, but based on the feces, I'm guessing you have a bigger issue. I recommend treating for Coccidiosis. It's common, it's debilitating, treatment is relatively inexpensive. Moreover, if that's not the issue, the treatment is benign. You need some amprolium (commonly sold under the name "Corid" around here. You lay a drop or two along the bird's beak (so they swallow it without breathing it in) and dose their water for five-seven days. Make sure that's the only water they have, so everyone gets the proper treatment. Oh - and don't give vitamins or medicated feed while they have the Corid water. Amprolium works by depriving the cocci of Vitamin B, so adding vitamins cancels out the meds.
Once the treatment is through, give your birds fresh, untreated water and a poultry vitamin. Chickens need Vitamin B, too, so you'll need to replace it so their systems don't crash. That's not a common issue, but a simple OTC poultry vitamin avoids the issue while giving your birds' systems a boost after being sick.
Good Luck!

Coccidiosis is not really a disease. Coccidia are protozoa - teeny-tiny organisms that are naturally present in ALL soils. Most animals/birds are able to counter them naturally and you'll never know there was an issue. Once the coccidia overload a chicken's system strongly enough to produce the symptoms you are concerned about - lethargy, loss of appetite and runny (or bloody) stools, it needs to be treated. Otherwise you risk losing your bird.

All you really need is amprolium (aka Corid.) Most feed suppliers sell it. Check where you get your chicken feed. It's a very simple treatment that generally costs less than a standard 40-50# bag of feed and "keeps" for a long time. It should really be part of every Poultry First Aid and Emergency Kit!

You don't absolutely need the vitamins, but I learned the hard way that it's a good idea to follow up with them. If you can't get a poultry vitamin (generic, nothing fancy, generally sold where you get your feed) don't worry. You can substitute a vitamin for parakeets or other pet birds. WalMart or any basic pet stores should have them.

Good Luck!

EDIT TO ADD- If it's coccidia or a virus, antibiotics will not help. Save them for when you actually need them for a bacterial infection!

Ok so I've ordered already. I've been observing her for the last few days and I feel like she's gaining a bit of appetite. Her poop is also not as watery as the first day when I posted on here. In general, I feel like she's doing better now, even without the medicine. Do you think she still needs it?
I'm glad to hear she seems better, but I still recommend treating her - and probably your whole flock. It's a benign treatment. If they don't have coccidiosis, it won't hurt them. If they do, it'll help them fight it off before they get really weak. Your sick hen should still get an oral dose (just a couple of drops along her beak - she'll swallow it on her own,) but the rest of your flock should be fine with it just added to their water. If she's acting normally, she can probably go back in with her buddies and they can all get treated from the same waterer. If you're still concerned about her, keep her out. Repeat the oral dose for a couple of days and put her back when she acts like a normal, happy chicken.
And again ... Good Luck!!!

How severe do you think this problem is? I looked up this disease and it seems very harsh to me. So far, she is not really showing any other symptoms other than a bit of loss of appetite and not as energetic.
I'm asking this because I really don't know when I'll be able to get all the medicines you mentioned, since my dad, unfortunately, believes that she'll be fine with some time alone in a box, with food and warm water + temperature (which obviously won't work). I'm working on convincing him and should be able to get soon, like within a week or so.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Like spray garlic juice, give her warm sugar water, etc. I do have antibiotic (cephalexin) and a bottle of VetRx. Would any of those two do any goods?
And just wondering, does this have anything related to her mating behavior, or is that a whole other case?

Ok so I've ordered already. I've been observing her for the last few days and I feel like she's gaining a bit of appetite. Her poop is also not as watery as the first day when I posted on here. In general, I feel like she's doing better now, even without the medicine. Do you think she still needs it?

I'm glad to hear she seems better, but I still recommend treating her - and probably your whole flock. It's a benign treatment. If they don't have coccidiosis, it won't hurt them. If they do, it'll help them fight it off before they get really weak. Your sick hen should still get an oral dose (just a couple of drops along her beak - she'll swallow it on her own,) but the rest of your flock should be fine with it just added to their water. If she's acting normally, she can probably go back in with her buddies and they can all get treated from the same waterer. If you're still concerned about her, keep her out. Repeat the oral dose for a couple of days and put her back when she acts like a normal, happy chicken.
And again ... Good Luck!!!
Ok so today she's been sort of sitting out from the rest of the flock when she's with them, other wise doing regularly. Should I be concerned about that?

Unfortunately, everything I ordered on Amazon is getting delayed with the shipping for some system errors, whatever it was. The vitamins are arriving today, but the Corid and mite spray is not arriving until Saturday.
So far, she doesn't seem to be doing any better but isn't really getting worse either. I don't see any very threatening symptoms yet.

Back
Top Bottom