sick chicken

colleen bean

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
i have a sick chicken. the following is the long story. about a month ago one of my chickens got attacked by a predator, when i checked on the others, two where on the floor of the coop and not the roost. (they usually roost). The next morning i notice the two that did not roost, did not look well, droopy wings, kinda moving slow and, sleeping a lot. by the end of the day one died. i started to give the other probiotic, the other one died about 3 days later. I did cut her open, the only thing that looked abnormal was a large very green spleen, no worms or anything. A day later another chicken started with the same symptoms, i started her on probiotic, and also cocci free, she would perk up for a little bit then go down hill again, this has been going on for a month, now my rooster doesn't look well. please help. The first hen that died had one eye swollen shut, the current hen that is sick as an eye swollen shut and dirty nostrils. all hens about 2 years old, not currently laying,(i thought because of change in season.) both the roaster and hen are eating and drinking well. Both the rooster and the hen sound funny when the try to cluck. the rooster has not crowed in days.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Hi,

Does the swollen eye have what looks like bubbles in the corners?

Is the bird gaping ( gasping for breath) or have rough breathing.?

Whereabouts are you? this could be a mycoplasma infection.

Other symptoms are sneezing and occasionally hot joints. birds need to be treated before the infection gets into the hollow bones or damages the lung tissue as this is always fatal.

stress can bring it on.

Treatment is tylan, advanced, when the eyes are weeping etc, needs injectable tylan. gaping is usually untreatable and the bird should be culled as treatment is less effective in older birds.

Treat the whole flock you have left as it is infectious.

no coughing, sneezing, her eyes does ooze, no gasping for breath. i'm in Indiana. haven't notice bubbles in eye. any other ideas.

no coughing, sneezing, her eyes does ooze, no gasping for breath. i'm in Indiana. haven't notice bubbles in eye. any other ideas.
" The first hen that died had one eye swollen shut, the current hen that is sick as an eye swollen shut and dirty nostrils. all hens about 2 years old, not currently laying,(i thought because of change in season.) both the roaster and hen are eating and drinking well. Both the rooster and the hen sound funny when the try to cluck. the rooster has not crowed in days."

The symptoms you describe are of a respiratory disease--swollen eye, dirty nostrils, change in voice, and not crowing. To me it does sound like possible mycoplasma or MG as was previously suggested. These diseases can make carriers of your flock. Testing can be done to confirm which disease you are dealing with here: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
You also can try treatment with Tylan or a tetracycline drug. Here is a link to read about common respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom