Sick Ducklings?

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
I went to TSC last Friday to pick up some supplies and ended up bringing home 2 ducklings. When I got home, I noticed one had some clear fluid dripping from it's nostrils. I thought it was just water.

One week later they both have drippy noses and are wheezing. They also have lesions on the corners of their bills. They're still active, eating well, and growing. Any ideas?

Usually I'm very careful with biosecurity, but I figured a couple TSC hatchery ducklings would be safe...

I went to TSC last Friday to pick up some supplies and ended up bringing home 2 ducklings. When I got home, I noticed one had some clear fluid dripping from it's nostrils. I thought it was just water.

One week later they both have drippy noses and are wheezing. They also have lesions on the corners of their bills. They're still active, eating well, and growing. Any ideas?

Usually I'm very careful with biosecurity, but I figured a couple TSC hatchery ducklings would be safe...
I believe I'd get them on a course of antibiotics Oxytetracycline, Tylan, Penicillin would be my choice either of those. When you get the antibiotic let us know which one and we can help you with dose and for how long. What temps is their brooder at? make sure to keep their bedding as dry as possible.Also Baytril but it maybe harder to get unless from a vet or ordered on line.

Last edited:
I believe I'd get them on a course of antibiotics Oxytetracycline, Tylan, Penicillin would be my choice either of those. When you get the antibiotic let us know which one and we can help you with dose and for how long. What temps is their brooder at? make sure to keep their bedding as dry as possible.Also Baytril but it maybe harder to get unless from a vet or ordered on line.

I believe I have sulfadimethoxine, tylan injectable, and 22.7 mg baytril tablets on hand, but I don't think I'll be able to divide the tablets small enough in correct proportions and I don't want to inject them with tylan. That leaves the sulfadimethoxine. Do you have any idea what this could be?

I believe I have sulfadimethoxine, tylan injectable, and 22.7 mg baytril tablets on hand, but I don't think I'll be able to divide the tablets small enough in correct proportions and I don't want to inject them with tylan. That leaves the sulfadimethoxine. Do you have any idea what this could be?
It sounds like respiratory which may have come on from stress. or maybe the whole group that came to TSC had this?? hard to know but don't give up on them especially since they to still have their appetites and acting fine. those a both pluses. I sent a PM to casportpony since I trust her dosage recommendations Hopefully she is on tonight.

I can figure out the correct dosage. I just wasn't sure if I should treat them with an antibiotic. They're only 1 1/2 weeks old.

I pray it's not contagious...

I just heard through the grapevine that TSC is selling poultry from a mycoplasma positive hatchery. You might want to return them.

-Kathy

Quote: It is just a rumor, but easy enough to verify. Anyone buying from stores should ask for the name of the hatchery and and then find out if they are mycoplasma free. As for them destroying them, one has to ask themselves how they will feel if the rest of their flock starts exhibiting respiratory symptoms. Hard call...

-Kathy

It is just a rumor, but easy enough to verify. Anyone buying from stores should ask for the name of the hatchery and and then find out if they are mycoplasma free. As for them destroying them, one has to ask themselves how they will feel if the rest of their flock starts exhibiting respiratory symptoms. Hard call...

-Kathy
Sure is, so best to find out which hatchery ducklings came from and how do you find out if they are free of mycoplasma do they have to show it on their web page?

Back
Top Bottom