Sick/dying chicks

Feather fixer... is still very high in calcium which birds in molt do not need.

I recommend Purina flock raiser... 20% protein and 1% calcium... fed to ALL my birds ALWAYS with ouster shell available free choice on the side for those still actively laying. It is also high in the amino acids that help with feather quality and such.

Regardless of what feed we use... calories... aka energy, only comes from 3 sources... fat, carbohydrates including fiber, and protein.

If you do wet the feed... I would do so with the medicated water. Otherwise it counts as a another source.

Hang in there! :fl
Thank you! Today is the last day for medicated water, and they all seem to be doing much better! Thankfully I’ve lost no moderns, the one that was acting sick is no longer showing symptoms, and everyone else is still good, but I’ll make sure to keep watching them to make sure. The one still is yawning, but the swelling has gone down a touch, and she’ll move around more and doesn’t want to sleep/stand with her eyes closed so much any more.

Yesterday, three chicks hatched under a modern hen. He was given medicated water during her broody, and I made sure when she was off she was drinking enough of it. Should I keep the medication for these three babies to prevent them from contracting cocci, or should they be fine without it?
Thank you!

Should I keep the medication for these three babies to prevent them from contracting cocci, or should they be fine without it?
If you can keep water poo free... most are fine without it. But if your stock load is too heavy or your pasture condition is such that you have cause for concern then using the preventive dose might be a good choice, knowing that it doesn't mean you might not still end up needing to treat as overload can still happen. So don't let it give you any false sense of security. Otherwise, keep your eyes open and treat if needed. It takes at least SIX days after INGESTING "sporulated" (exposed to air for a period of time dependent on temp ) oocysts (microscopic eggs) before symptoms can appear. For what it's worth coccidia are in every chicken dropping so they will be exposed (early is better IMO) and develop natural resistance. It's when there is an overload to the system when it becomes an issue. The Corid (amprolium) mimics thiamine which the coccidia feed on, in order to slow their growth by starving them out while the birds continue to develop immunity or get it back in check if they're already mature and just been swamped.

Please check your feather fixer for calcium content.. as amount greater than 3% fed to bird not in lay (such as juveniles) long term *can* (doesn't mean will) cause issues including kidney failure, retarded growth rate, and delayed onset of lay.

Congrats on your new little family and suspected recovery of your current birdies! :celebrate

If you can keep water poo free... most are fine without it. But if your stock load is too heavy or your pasture condition is such that you have cause for concern then using the preventive dose might be a good choice, knowing that it doesn't mean you might not still end up needing to treat as overload can still happen. So don't let it give you any false sense of security. Otherwise, keep your eyes open and treat if needed. It takes at least SIX days after INGESTING "sporulated" (exposed to air for a period of time dependent on temp ) oocysts (microscopic eggs) before symptoms can appear. For what it's worth coccidia are in every chicken dropping so they will be exposed (early is better IMO) and develop natural resistance. It's when there is an overload to the system when it becomes an issue. The Corid (amprolium) mimics thiamine which the coccidia feed on, in order to slow their growth by starving them out while the birds continue to develop immunity or get it back in check if they're already mature and just been swamped.

Please check your feather fixer for calcium content.. as amount greater than 3% fed to bird not in lay (such as juveniles) long term *can* (doesn't mean will) cause issues including kidney failure, retarded growth rate, and delayed onset of lay.

Congrats on your new little family and suspected recovery of your current birdies! :celebrate
Thank you! The calcium is at 3%.

Despite doing the full medication, I woke up this morning to find yet another chick with runny poo, a bloated bottom and slightly stuck out vent. He is puffed up but still active. I gave some drench to him and will make the medicated water in about 15 minutes, I just took the waterers out and am hoping for them to be thirsty when I give the medication.
I’ve also noticed, the only chicks who have gotten to be this bad, with the diarrhea/vent issues and fluffed feathers, are the old English Bantams. None of the moderns (but one, who was only puffed up for a day before being fine again) have had any issues. Is there a reason for this? The one Modern was in a pen with no old English, but the other two are in a pen with these sick English. I don’t want to spread it to the other chicks, especially these newborns, so I assume keeping them with their same pen despite one being sick is the best option? Or Should I take them out to prevent them getting sick?

Thank you! The calcium is at 3%.

Despite doing the full medication, I woke up this morning to find yet another chick with runny poo, a bloated bottom and slightly stuck out vent. He is puffed up but still active. I gave some drench to him and will make the medicated water in about 15 minutes, I just took the waterers out and am hoping for them to be thirsty when I give the medication.

If you are feeding chicks Naturwise Feather Fixer that has too much calcium. Please feed your chicks Chick Starter or Flock Raiser.

Feather Fixer has min. 3.25% calcium and max. 3.75%. https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-feather-fixer-poultry-feed
Read the feeding instructions on your bag.... Feed as the sole ration at the first sign of feather loss for hens and roosters over 16 weeks of age; transition to NatureWise Layer 16% after molting is complete.
Feather Fixer is a LAYER FEED! it is not for chicks. Too much calcium can damage the kidneys in young birds.

I know you may not think it's that big a deal, but it is. With the breeds you "raise" I would just use Flock Raiser. There's no guess work and wondering if a feed is age appropriate. Just hatched chicks to old hens and roosters can eat it.

If you are feeding chicks Naturwise Feather Fixer that has too much calcium. Please feed your chicks Chick Starter or Flock Raiser.

Feather Fixer has min. 3.25% calcium and max. 3.75%. https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/naturewise-feather-fixer-poultry-feed
Read the feeding instructions on your bag.... Feed as the sole ration at the first sign of feather loss for hens and roosters over 16 weeks of age; transition to NatureWise Layer 16% after molting is complete.
Feather Fixer is a LAYER FEED! it is not for chicks. Too much calcium can damage the kidneys in young birds.

I know you may not think it's that big a deal, but it is. With the breeds you "raise" I would just use Flock Raiser. There's no guess work and wondering if a feed is age appropriate. Just hatched chicks to old hens and roosters can eat it.
This is news to me! The chicks haven't started eating the feather fixer, the pellets are still too big, but I’ll make sure I’ll go get the flock raiser soon. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom