Sick goose

Epye

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
Hello,

My white Chinese goose is lethargic. She doesn't like to lay down and just hangs in the pool. She doesn't have interest in food except for peas. I am giving her diatomaceous earth. I'm not sure what is wrong but she is not her normal active self. The other birds are fine. We have had a lot of rain here and I'm not sure if she is egg bound, molting or has Mycotoxicosis.

Any ideas on what to do for her?
IMG_20230716_161758985_HDR.jpg

How long has she been like this?
What do her droppings look like?
Has her beak always been that shade or has it gotten pale recently?

Stop giving her diatomaceous earth, if it’s not doing anything to make her better then there’s no point. It can also cause lung damage if inhaled.

Have you felt her abdomen to see if she has a mass? If she’s reluctant to sit down she likely has pain in her abdomen.
You'll feel two bumps way back near her tail which is her pelvis, between that and her rib cage if you feel a hard ball that feels like it’s bubbling it’s a swollen gassy intestine. If it feels hard but doesn’t bubble or gurgle it could possibly be a stuck egg.
If she’s egg bound setting her in a tub of warm water “not hot” and letting her soak for awhile can help. Give her some calcium like oyster shell or crushed eggshell also.

If she has an intestinal infection you may want to try worming her, safeguard horse paste or the liquid goat version works on worms and Giardia. If it’s a bacterial infection you might try an antibiotic, SMZ TMP, metronidazole, Tylosin are good options depending on the cause but generally those 3 work on a variety of potential causes.
You could also try putting her on a round of corid if it’s coccidia.

Doxy works great against spirochetes and various mycoplasmas, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of effect on a lot of intestinal parasites or but may or may not have an effect on clostridium, but it’s know to have a protective affect against it so if you have it you can definitely try it.

if you can definitely try giving her the Tylan via syringe. It has a fairly horrible taste and she probably isn’t going to want to drink her water with it in it. In my experience medicine diluted in water isn’t as effective because it doesn’t get consumed in high enough quantities.
The best way to give a goose oral meds is to corner and grab them, squat over them just enough that you’ve sort of have them pinned in place with your legs and body but not sitting on them, with one hand apply pressure to the corners of their mouth until they open, then wrap your hand around the top of their bill “it gives you control of their head and it’s harder for them to bite.” With the other hand insert the pill as far down their throat as possible/ insert the syringe as far down their right side of the throat as you can and hit the plunger.
The faster you do this the easier it is and less stressful for the goose.
Offering a treat before and after can also help to train them into not being as bothered by it after a few times.
Ok, I didn't have a problem giving her the worm meds so I'll try the syringe
Doxy works great against spirochetes and various mycoplasmas, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of effect on a lot of intestinal parasites or but may or may not have an effect on clostridium, but it’s know to have a protective affect against it so if you have it you can definitely try it.

if you can definitely try giving her the Tylan via syringe. It has a fairly horrible taste and she probably isn’t going to want to drink her water with it in it. In my experience medicine diluted in water isn’t as effective because it doesn’t get consumed in high enough quantities.
The best way to give a goose oral meds is to corner and grab them, squat over them just enough that you’ve sort of have them pinned in place with your legs and body but not sitting on them, with one hand apply pressure to the corners of their mouth until they open, then wrap your hand around the top of their bill “it gives you control of their head and it’s harder for them to bite.” With the other hand insert the pill as far down their throat as possible/ insert the syringe as far down their right side of the throat as you can and hit the plunger.
Offering a treat before and after can also help to train them into not being as bothered by it after a few times.
Ok, I'll try it out. She took the worm meds well

Okay I gave it to her orally.

Stop giving her diatomaceous earth, if it’s not doing anything to make her better then there’s no point. It can also cause lung damage if inhaled.

Have you felt her abdomen to see if she has a mass? If she’s reluctant to sit down she likely has pain in her abdomen.
You'll feel two bumps way back near her tail which is her pelvis, between that and her rib cage if you feel a hard ball that feels like it’s bubbling it’s a swollen gassy intestine. If it feels hard but doesn’t bubble or gurgle it could possibly be a stuck egg.
If she’s egg bound setting her in a tub of warm water “not hot” and letting her soak for awhile can help. Give her some calcium like oyster shell or crushed eggshell also.

If she has an intestinal infection you may want to try worming her, safeguard horse paste or the liquid goat version works on worms and Giardia. If it’s a bacterial infection you might try an antibiotic, SMZ TMP, metronidazole, Tylosin are good options depending on the cause but generally those 3 work on a variety of potential causes.
I just checked her. I don't feel any hard lumps but I hear the gas sounds. If she has a gassy intestine what should I do for her? Can I still worm her and give her tylosin?

I just checked her. I don't feel any hard lumps but I hear the gas sounds. If she has a gassy intestine what should I do for her? Can I still worm her and give her tylosin?

I think she has been like this for two days. Maybe 3. Her droppings are runny, green and clear. She drinks a lot of water. Her beak is paler than normal. I thought her rear end looked different. That's why I thought she might be egg bound but she hasn't laid eggs in almost 2 months

I think she has been like this for two days. Maybe 3. Her droppings are runny, green and clear. She drinks a lot of water. Her beak is paler than normal. I thought her rear end looked different. That's why I thought she might be egg bound but she hasn't laid eggs in almost 2 months
Tylosin is an antibiotic commonly used for upper respiratory illnesses caused by mycoplasma but it is also a great antibiotics to treat enteritis caused by clostridium and intestinal spirochetes.
In my opinion it works best if given with metronidazole which is also effective against giardia and clostridium.
Tylosin, Fenbendazole “safeguard,” and metronidazole don’t interact with each other so it’s safe to administer them together. Typically I like to give them at least a few hours apart because metro and Tylosin can cause stomach upset and either of them can cause sudden microbe die off which releases a lot of gas so it’s better to stagger them.

Also if you have any activated charcoal it can be used to absorb alot of toxins released during the die off which can reduce the gas, though make sure not to give it too soon after the antibiotic or it could absorb some of it. Trans alanyl glutamine can actually neutralize toxins released by clostridium.

Her beak being paler is a sign of anemia which can be caused by malabsorption from an infection and/or her not eating because her guts hurt, my guess is her rump looks different because she‘s lost a lot of weight.

Do you have a scale to weigh her?

Tylan 50 dosage is 0.23 ml per pound three times a day, injected is more effective but if you’re not experienced with needles and don’t have someone to help you I wouldn’t try it. It can still be taken orally and is still effective.

If you can still find a tractor supply that will sell you antibiotics without a prescription thats amazing. Otherwise you’ll have to purchase the powder form for pigeons “which is what I do.” https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Safeguard Fenbendazole 10% liquid or paste dosage is 0.23 ml per pound.
You can still get this without a prescription thankfully.

Metronidazole dosage is 50 mg per pound once a day, or every 12 hours depending on how severe the infection is.
If you can’t find it at tractor supply without a prescription you have to purchase it as fish antibiotics, which are the same thing.
https://jedds.com/products/metronidazole-capsules?_pos=2&_sid=2a074afe3&_ss=r

https://countrysidepet.com/search.php?search_query_adv=Metronidazole+

I strongly suggest getting a 12 ml syringe to administer the Tylosin and wormer. Anything smaller is tricky and can lead to the goose either swallowing and choking on the syringe or having the liquid go down into their lungs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

She is eating a little and spunked up as well. Now I'm concerned about her eyes. Maybe it's just a symptom of a sick goose?
received_2342562119249997.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom