Sick Hen - can’t stand - yucky butt

erinsumpter

Chirping
Jun 14, 2019
Could anyone tell me what might be wrong with my hen? I’ve had chickens for years and have never seen this. I’ve treated worms, sour crop and other random chicken ailments over the years, but can’t figure this one out. She’s wet in the video because I had just bathed her again. She’s been like this for about a week and honestly thought she’d be dead within a couple of day after I found her like this. I’ve been keeping her in a crate away from the flock and worming, keeping hydrated and feeding her egg, some pellets, a little yogurt and giving her a probiotic to get good bacteria in her gut. She eats and drinks, but just can’t really move. She falls over and tries to balance herself with her wings. I’m surprised that she still alive, but every morning she’s still hanging in. Just not sure, if I should keep trying or just put her out of her misery. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_6448.png
    IMG_6448.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6449.png
    IMG_6449.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6450.png
    IMG_6450.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6452.png
    IMG_6452.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6453.png
    IMG_6453.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6454.png
    IMG_6454.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6455.png
    IMG_6455.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6456.png
    IMG_6456.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6457.png
    IMG_6457.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6458.png
    IMG_6458.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6459.png
    IMG_6459.png
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6460.png
    IMG_6460.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6461.png
    IMG_6461.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Poor thing!
Looks like she has ascites, which can be caused be several different things, reproduction issues are one thing. Or it could be some sort of reproduction issue that makes the abdomen bloated.
In my opinion, I don't think she has much longer, and it may be best to put her down.
All you could do is offer support, which is only temporary, and sooner or later she'll pass. If she lasts longer you could attempt to drain her abdomen of fluid.

Poor thing!
Looks like she has ascites, which can be caused be several different things, reproduction issues are one thing. Or it could be some sort of reproduction issue that makes the abdomen bloated.
In my opinion, I don't think she has much longer, and it may be best to put her down.
All you could do is offer support, which is only temporary, and sooner or later she'll pass. If she lasts longer you could attempt to drain her abdomen of fluid.
Thank you. I think I’m going to research humane ways to put her down. She’s been a good girl and I hate to have her continue to suffer. She’s not improving no matter what I try.

I don't normally say this, but I'd put the poor little thing out of her misery.
Same. I usually try everything to try and save/help my girls when any of them get sick, but she’s been this way for a week and not improving. I’ve tried multiple things and she’s just suffering. I’ve just got to figure out a humane way to put her down.

I would agree that putting her down would be best. She looks like she is miserable. If you want to find out if she had a reproductive disorder, cancer, ascites, etc, you could do a necropsy on her and take pictures of her abdominal organs to post here for opinions.

What had you been feeding her?

You say she's eating now but eating treats isn't giving her the proper nutrition. Feeding her a balanced poultry crumbled or pelleted feed would be best.

I agree the poor thing looks miserable.

I doubt proper nutrition is going to help at this point but the leg issues and curled feet are a clear sign of not getting proper nutrition for a while.

What had you been feeding her?

You say she's eating now but eating treats isn't giving her the proper nutrition. Feeding her a balanced poultry crumbled or pelleted feed would be best.

I agree the poor thing looks miserable.

I doubt proper nutrition is going to help at this point but the leg issues and curled feet are a clear sign of not getting proper nutrition for a while.
She does eat layer pellet feed. I’ve just been also feeding her egg, some yogurt and have also given her a probiotic and have apple cider vinegar in her water.

Back
Top Bottom