Sick Hen..egg bound? Something else? What can I do?

Dparish032

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2019
Maryland
My hen has a swollen abdomen. It’s warm to the touch and feels kind of hard. I’ve checked to see if I can feel an egg but I can’t. I’ve also soaked her in warm water. She’s been like this for almost a week now. What can I do for her??

Attachments

• B32938A3-A466-4D2C-8E69-552CB1AFBD4B.jpeg
    B32938A3-A466-4D2C-8E69-552CB1AFBD4B.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 77
  • AD06EA88-5DA4-4D54-8130-FBF17945D323.jpeg
    AD06EA88-5DA4-4D54-8130-FBF17945D323.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 27
How long has it been since she's laid an egg, one that you know for certain is hers? When you soaked her, did you lubricate a finger and insert it into the vent an inch or two to feel for an egg, or was your examination external only? Is she pooping, and if so, is it normal in color and texture? Are you able to separate her from the flock in perhaps a dog crate, to more easily determine the answers to these questions? How is her demeanor? Is she isolating herself from the flock? Is she penguin waddling? Is she being treated differently by other members of the flock than is customary for her position in the pecking order? Can you post photos of her, preferably showing the full hen from a side view, a front-on view (including her face), an overhead (looking down on her) view, and another from behind (at her vent and hind quarters). The more complete these photographs are of your hen, the easier it will be for an experienced eye to spot problems. A photograph or two of HER poop can also be helpful.
If you determine that she's indeed egg bound, then she's at high risk and time is of the essence. I'd warm bathe her again for 15 or 20 minutes, then lubricate her vent inside and out with a water soluble personal lubricant like KY Jelly (TM). I'd then give her either ground egg shell mixed into something you know she'll eat (like mashed, hard boiled egg yolk), a broken piece off of a TUMS (TM) tablet (human pharmacy for indigestion is mostly calcium) poked down her throat, a calcium supplement (also human pharmacy or vitamin section at your grocer) poked down her throat... The calcium will strengthen her contractions.

What is her behavior like? Is she acting sick? Tail low and flat? What color is her poop? Runny? Normal? Has she had a history of egg issues? Soft shell eggs? Shell less eggs? Deformed eggs? When was the last tme she laid an egg?

How old is she? Does she have any discharge from her vent?

She has loose watery poop, however normal poo is also stuck to her bum. I did an internal check to feel for the egg. I did feel something but I’m not positive it’s an egg. She is an older hen and I’ve never been certain that she is laying. She has been separated from the flock for two days now, eating and drinking. She was free ranging with the other girls but I noticed she would lay down more often, and was waddling. Occasionally I’d catch her with her tail feathers down. Her personality is still there she just looks uncomfortable and is very swollen.

Draining is only a temporary relief for ascites, not a cure. The full abdomen can put pressure on her ability to breathe and to digest food. Draining would confirm ascites if you get yellow fluid, and might help pain and breathing. There is another cause of fluid in the abdomen called a cystic right oviduct. The fluid coming from that would be clear and colorless. Draining is not without risks.

I just posted more pics of her. Thank you for your help!

How long has it been since she's laid an egg, one that you know for certain is hers? When you soaked her, did you lubricate a finger and insert it into the vent an inch or two to feel for an egg, or was your examination external only? Is she pooping, and if so, is it normal in color and texture? Are you able to separate her from the flock in perhaps a dog crate, to more easily determine the answers to these questions? How is her demeanor? Is she isolating herself from the flock? Is she penguin waddling? Is she being treated differently by other members of the flock than is customary for her position in the pecking order? Can you post photos of her, preferably showing the full hen from a side view, a front-on view (including her face), an overhead (looking down on her) view, and another from behind (at her vent and hind quarters). The more complete these photographs are of your hen, the easier it will be for an experienced eye to spot problems. A photograph or two of HER poop can also be helpful.
If you determine that she's indeed egg bound, then she's at high risk and time is of the essence. I'd warm bathe her again for 15 or 20 minutes, then lubricate her vent inside and out with a water soluble personal lubricant like KY Jelly (TM). I'd then give her either ground egg shell mixed into something you know she'll eat (like mashed, hard boiled egg yolk), a broken piece off of a TUMS (TM) tablet (human pharmacy for indigestion is mostly calcium) poked down her throat, a calcium supplement (also human pharmacy or vitamin section at your grocer) poked down her throat... The calcium will strengthen her contractions.

Back
Top Bottom