Sick hen - help me help her

autumnpuckett

Hatching
Jan 28, 2023
My 3 and a half year old Delaware is sick and I’m not sure how to help her. We live in Phoenix AZ and it’s been record breaking hot. We do all we can to keep the flock cool. We haven’t had any fatalities yet.

This hen started acting weird yesterday and today. She isolated herself and won’t eat or drink anything. Her comb is limp but red. She seems incredibly tired. Due to her behavior and the heat we brought her inside today. She still won’t eat anything and her poops look very weird.

Please see the photo of her poop and let me know if you have ideas on how to help her. She rarely lays anymore and is the least consistent layer in the flock. I checked for mites and lice and found nothing but treated the whole flock with ivermectin about a week ago. Her feathers look pretty ratty. I believe it may be from the misters and the heat we have here. Both of my older hens have rough looking feathers. The younger ones are just barely showing signs of ruffled feathers. None of the other hens are acting weird. They are hot but otherwise doing great.

Attachments

• 41963FB8-5C96-44CC-92DF-9A3FE79D7DC3.jpeg
    41963FB8-5C96-44CC-92DF-9A3FE79D7DC3.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 195A5E05-A74F-42B1-B244-1E2F7CCC32F2.jpeg
    195A5E05-A74F-42B1-B244-1E2F7CCC32F2.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 8
I would offer her electrolytes and see if she perks up. If she does, then it's likely heat exhaustion.

Since she's not laying eggs much, she may be having some reproductive issues.

If possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet to see if worms are part of the problem.

My 3 and a half year old Delaware is sick and I’m not sure how to help her. We live in Phoenix AZ and it’s been record breaking hot. We do all we can to keep the flock cool. We haven’t had any fatalities yet.

This hen started acting weird yesterday and today. She isolated herself and won’t eat or drink anything. Her comb is limp but red. She seems incredibly tired. Due to her behavior and the heat we brought her inside today. She still won’t eat anything and her poops look very weird.

Please see the photo of her poop and let me know if you have ideas on how to help her. She rarely lays anymore and is the least consistent layer in the flock. I checked for mites and lice and found nothing but treated the whole flock with ivermectin about a week ago. Her feathers look pretty ratty. I believe it may be from the misters and the heat we have here. Both of my older hens have rough looking feathers. The younger ones are just barely showing signs of ruffled feathers. None of the other hens are acting weird. They are hot but otherwise doing great.
What happen now?

Back
Top Bottom