Sick Hen - Mouth Breathing

wxdude99

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Montgomery Area
When I let my chickens out of the coop two days ago, one of them was really sluggish and her comb was drooped to the side. So I brought her in and have been keeping her in our laundry room for the last two days. Her poop was watery with a little white and green mixed in. Not much solid poop at all. I thought she might have sour crop or impacted crop, so I've been feeding her yogurt and some eggs with vegetable oil mixed in. Her appetite has been okay and she's drinking a lot of water. She did show a little improvement overnight last night. I am starting to see a little more solid normal poop mixed in with the watery stuff. Just a little though. Also, she's breathing with her mouth open. She's 15 months old and she hasn't had any problems before. I'm kind of worried about the mouth breathing. Does that indicate a respiratory infection? I know that can be very dangerous. Thanks

She hasn't laid an egg in about 3 or 4 days. I've done some reading on here and I'm going to give her a warm bath just in case. Unfortunately she seems more sluggish today than yesterday. She just stands in one place and doesn't move. I think I will take her to a vet tomorrow if she doesn't improve. I'm really worried about her. She's my favorite chicken. I've been wondering if I should give her some antibiotics or something. There's a TSC close by and I know they have some. Thanks.

When I got home from work today, she was doing badly. Unfortunately the only vet I could find that cares for chickens had left for the day. I don't think she'll make it through the night. I suppose she was egg bound. When I got her to walk a little, her butt was hanging low and she was walking funny. I don't think she'll make it through the night.

Back
Top Bottom