Sick hen. Mucus in mouth and partially swollen face

Wondering how your birds are doing? I'm also in Kansas and mine have very similar symptoms. Took one to the vet and they sent out swabs to see exactly what we are dealing with but they're leaning toward MG.

Most of my chickens are fine now. A few are still a little sick, but much better than before. I lost 2 to the illness before I finally got some antibiotics. I reccomend getting some from chewy.com. They can be mixed with water and given directly to any sick chickens if you use a condiment bottle. My prolapsed hen is doing better, but her butt is still healing. She's still getting antibiotics and quarantined in a cage until her butt heals. My babies are doing well since they got antibiotics early. You can give them the antibiotics by squirting the water into their beaks. You'll probably need to hold them down, pry their beaks open, and squirt it into their beaks before they start struggling and escape. Some are better about getting medicine than others. Some of mine are fairly cooperative, while others struggle and kick. You could also just put it in their water dish, but you'd need a lot of antibiotics since it's made for smaller birds and the largest size is 3 ounces. That's why I reccomend the condiment bottles. It takes much less medicine, and you can ensure that the sick chickens are getting what they need.

I live near kstate and the vet school cares for chickens. Got lucky but it was very expensive ($500 for the visit, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medicine, IV fluids,, and infectious disease testing) and they will only treat the specific birds under their care so they only gave me antibiotics for the one I brought in but I felt like I need to know what specifically is going around so I know what to do about the rest of them. MG is mycoplasma gallisepticum. Unfortunately it sounds like it's a chronic disease and the sick birds will forever be carrier's so if it's that then it's recommended to close the flock off to new birds.

No, the infection time is much shorter and it doesn't list facial swelling. It says that the incubation period is 6 to 10 days, but my chickens get sick after 2 to 3 days.

Most of my chickens are fine bow and my main concern is with my prolapsed hen. She's doing fine, but her butt still looks sore. Hopefully, the antibiotics will help keep any infections at bay.

What doesn't list facial swelling? That's a symptom of this disease. My birds went from a sneeze to an entire sick flock with swollen eyes, sneezes and nasal drainage, and rattley breathing in 3 days. :( Still waiting on swab results though.

Something on a link that someone sent. IDK what exactly they have, but whatever this person thought it was, it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom