Sick hen, Please Help! Lethargic and green, watery poop

flockoffour

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
West Coast
My Ameraucana hen started losing weight and having noticeably less energy, so she is by herself in a run adjacent to her friends where she can see them but not worry about hiding from them. She lost weight and is having a very small appetite, and has been drinking less than normal although she is still drinking some. Her face is a little more pale than red like it normally is, and her comb is also less red. She has been having green, watery poop and sometimes diarrhea. She is acting pretty lethargic and just wants to lie down and nap, but when I approach her she is still quick to get up and run away, however she doesn't struggle as much when I catch her. She has been in her own run for about 2.5 or so days and the same cycle seems to be repeating itself: in the mornings she has a bit more energy and walks around and eats and drinks a little, then as the day progresses she gets more lethargic and I will find her lying up in the hen house or a corner in the run, and has no appetite. I have bee force-feeding her in the afternoons and evenings, and she usually goes and drinks on her own after. I have crumbles and oatmeal out for her, and I also put out some apple slices this morning which she ate. This afternoon she took a few more bites of the new apple slices I brought out but went into nap-mode shortly after.

I have been reading and guessed it might be a bacterial infection, but I'm really not sure. I dewormed her when I first started seeing signs of her getting sick (and I don't know if it's a result of that or is she's been eating better but I think her diarrhea has decreased). In addition to her normal water I also gave her water with the sav-a-chick electrolyte and probiotic supplements, which she seems to like and will drink on her own every now and then.

If you have any guesses as to what might be wrong with her, or how I can treat her, I would really appreciate it. In the mornings it always seems like she is getting a lot better but she goes back to her low-energy state by the afternoon.

Also I shut her out of the hen house in hopes of her relaxing by the food and water and being more likely to eat/drink, should I continue to keep her shut out, or should I allow her to go back in (during the day) ?

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated

She is 3 years old, stopped laying when she molted and hasn't started since. I used the Rooster Booster triple action dewormer, which I have used before and everyone did well with. I finally figured out that she had mights, so I dusted everyone and the coop, and removed the wooden nest boxes the mites were on. I have continued to dust everyone and the coop, and haven't seen any signs of mites since. However, my ameraucana still seems pretty weak, if not weaker than before, and has not had much of an appetite and is still lethargic. For a span of about 1.5-2 weeks she seemed to be getting a lot better, then suddenly she became weaker and lethargic again. She'll usually eat if I bring out treats for her though, and is still interested in leaving her run (she is away from other birds but can still see them) and looking for bugs in the grass, even though she will lose energy quickly and lay down for a little bit. I have also been offering water with electrolytes and a probiotic, which she seems to like.

I forgot to add, she is vaccinated for Marek's, as are all of my chickens, and everyone else seems to be healthy.

Thank you for your help :)

Make sure you retreat for the mites after 7-10 days after first treatment to catch all the eggs that hatched. Tou also need to treat the coop. I have no experience with that wormer but have not heard very many positive reports. Safeguard or valbazen.

Back
Top Bottom