Sick hen with coccidosis and mega worms

cfs

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 2, 2010
My hen is about 11 months old. She was so sick she had wry neck but I treated for that and she is much better. Lab came back and she has large amount of worms and coccidosis. Vet said treat for both now but she has never been wormed. Online it says don't treat both at same time because it will make the bird too weak. HELP! Is Panacure okay to use in the feed and also treat her with Corrid or should I just treat with Corrid first then Panacure? I am questioning my vet.

Valbazen is very good, and is not dangerous if there is a worm load. It works over a couple of days. Give 1/2 ml for a 6 lb chicken--use less or more depending on weight. The dose is 10 mg per pound. I'm pretty sure Panacur is also safe. I would probably worm now and treat will Corid right away. Corid dosing is 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp of liquid in 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days. After treatment give vitamins and probiotics in the water to replace what was lost.

Last edited:
Thank you. She is just one chicken. she won't drink a gallon of water for a week most likely. Is that fine treatment-wise, for her? I am going to put the panacure on her food crumbles.

You should worm her by mouth to be sure she gets all of the medicine. For instructions read:

As for the Corid, the dose for powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon or 2 teaspoons per gallon for the liquid. If you're going to use a quart size waterer, just divide by four for the dose. Here is more Corid dosing info than you'll ever need, lol:
-Kathy

Thanks. I don't see how I can get it in her mouth. The farm and store gave me a small tip syringe to try and then it fell out of the container evidently before making it to my truck so I only have the case for it! I picked up the wormer from my vet and it has a syringe with it but the tip is so big. I will try to feed it to her by mouth but not sure I will be able to get it past her beak.

The polyvisol and vitamin E with selenium really helped her! I am glad it strengthened her before worming her and giving her Corrid. I did that while waiting for lab results which took a day and a half. I read no polyvisol while taking the Corrid or wormer because they conflict so I am sticking to probiotics and Corrid and worming her, and giving her catfood and scrambled yolk to strengthen her during worming and Corrid treatment.

Kathy, you are so helpful, thank you! My Sweety is definitely better (her neck originally was so wobbly and weak I had to hold it for her to eat), but she has a very crooked neck. Today is day five of worming. I wonder if that means she will permanently have a crooked neck? It makes her lose balance and fall over and the other chickens attack so I am in a quandry. I am going to try another few days and see if she gets stronger but I need her strong enough the others don't attack her! Of course, being away from them for a week doesn't help. I am thinking I should keep a stronger one away for a week and let it be the lowest one in the pecking order. I am also thinking on getting two more hens to introduce so Sweety isn't the one picked on. She is too weak to move away when they come to pick on her (or just too equilibrium challenged really).

Back
Top Bottom