sick hen with yellow poop?

carolinachick

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
My 8 month old Black Star, who has been a consitent, every day layer since 22 weeks of age, stopped laying 4 days ago and has had runny yellow-white poop. None of my other 5 girls have these symptoms. The first day, she had poop stuck to the fluff on her bottom which my husband and I removed by sitting her in a sink of warm water for about 20 minutes. We isolated her from the others in a crate in our heated tack room. She was a little quieter than normal the first day but has been active and talking as usual since just no eggs. We gave her terramycin for one day in her water after which her poop appeared more solid so we stopped to see if she was getting better on her own. I have read about eggs becoming lodged internally but she has no palpable protrusions in her abdomen and her vent looks normal (no redness, etc.) She is eating a normal layer ration and drinking water. I stopped giving her cracked corm as a treat as I read it could cause diarrhea. Any ideas on what could be causing this? She has not been wormed. As I notice in many o the posts, there is a difference of opinion on this issue. I'm open to any suggestions. Should I continue the antibiotics? How long sould I keep her seperated from the others? I have other animals (goats, horses, dogs, cats) but no vets seem interested in treating hens whose owners do not treat as disposable creatures (we eat their eggs but do not eat meat). Any ideas are much appreciated. Thank you!

ANY vet can do a faecal to look for worms/cocci... (yellow poo is sometimes an indication of worms ) is the poo yellow or is it the watery portion?

The portion which is normally white is now yellow-tinged like light colored egg yolk. The more solid dark part looks normal and she acts normally except for not laying. Is this consistant with worm infestation?

Back
Top Bottom